Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent Kernel Panics on Mac Pro 6,1

Hi

I'm facing an issue of multiple kernel panics after a restart or boot up. This started since Catalina. I have tried Big Sur beta, however it still persists.

When I tried to boot in to BootCamp however occasionally I get a Thread Stuck In Device Driver error

Please assist if anyone is able to share on this issue?

Occurs even after a clean format and installation - after first few restarts.

Is there any possible resolution I could try if this is a hardware (memory) issue?

I have removed all peripherals except USB Keyboard and Mouse and HDMI Display.

Apple Diagnostics shows hardware is ok.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:55 AM

I expect your RAM error has no connection to the kernel panic report you posted. I think you may have multiple errors, not interconnected errors.

RAM memory problems in Mac Pro with Xeon processor do not fester or cause side-effects. RAM errors are corrected on the fly, or your computer is halted to avoid poisoning your data by allowing the error to propagate into your file system.

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Shake_Query

I expect your RAM error has no connection to the kernel panic report you posted. I think you may have multiple errors, not interconnected errors.

RAM memory problems in Mac Pro with Xeon processor do not fester or cause side-effects. RAM errors are corrected on the fly, or your computer is halted to avoid poisoning your data by allowing the error to propagate into your file system.

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

Sep 17, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant

Thanks for the assessment. Your right that it points towards a Graphics Error.

However had a day troubleshooting the hardware - removing the SSD and RAM modules and placing them back one-by-one. Seems like RAM slot 1 is faulty and the module that was in it works well in other slots. Haven’t had any KP since removing slot 1 and anyway it stopped detecting the stick in that slot occasionally too. Memory used are Apple Stock ECC RAM.

Hoping this is the cause and quick fix rather than a gfx problem - which could also or eventually be since its a 7 year old Mac.

Thanks again.

Sep 17, 2020 7:16 AM in response to Shake_Query

Catalina 10.15.6 fully updated. No third-party kernel extensions.

Panic due to Page fault (attempting to access memory not owned by the task doing the calling), Graphics drivers at the scene of the crime, detected in kernel_task

if there are no others to compare to, I would say that may be graphics card failure. You can try the diagnostic, but it only finds GROSS faults.

Your Mac has error-correcting code RAM, so this is NOT a RAM problem.

Frequent Kernel Panics on Mac Pro 6,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.