Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and use an apple external keyboard

Is there a fix for the apple external keyboard For IPad Pro 10.5? Since a 13 update all the special characters on top of the numbers have moved.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 10:59 AM

I do need the Spanish because I have to write in Spanish sometimes.

What was happening was that any character that required the shift key would give me a different character. For example, if I shift +2 for the @ it gave me a quotation sign, shift + 9 was a question mark instead of a parenthesis.

However, it has been 24 hours and the keyboard is working for now.

I really appreciate your support. For now, let’s say it’s fixed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 10:59 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I do need the Spanish because I have to write in Spanish sometimes.

What was happening was that any character that required the shift key would give me a different character. For example, if I shift +2 for the @ it gave me a quotation sign, shift + 9 was a question mark instead of a parenthesis.

However, it has been 24 hours and the keyboard is working for now.

I really appreciate your support. For now, let’s say it’s fixed.

Sep 18, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Taina51

Taina51 wrote: What was happening was that any character that required the shift key would give me a different character. For example, if I shift +2 for the @ it gave me a quotation sign, shift + 9 was a question mark instead of a parenthesis.

When that happens, it probably means that you have switched to the Spanish keyboard without knowing it. This can happen if you accidentally tap the Globe key, or by other means. Below you can see exactly how the Spanish keyboard differs from the US keyboard for those Shift plus number characters:

Sep 17, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Taina51

Taina51 wrote:

Is there a fix for the apple external keyboard For IPad Pro 10.5? Since a 13 update all the special characters on top of the numbers have moved.

It sounds like you have the wrong mapping for the keyboard. Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge. Make sure you have the mapping you want checked (and NOT "automatic" or something else).

Sep 17, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Taina51

Taina51 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I had checked the settings for the keyboard and nothing seemed incorrect. I double checked but it didńt work. Any other suggestions.

Please post a screen shot of what you see when you tap over at the right edge of settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard.

Please also give me specific examples of which characters are not right. For example, does your keyboard have @ printed on the 2 key? If so, what does shift 2 produce instead of that?

Sep 18, 2020 2:42 AM in response to Taina51

Taina51 wrote: Now is doing it intermittent.

Doing what exactly? Please give me specific examples of which characters are not right. For example, does your keyboard have @ printed on the 2 key? If so, what does shift 2 produce instead of that?

Do you really need the Spanish keyboard on your list? If not, you should remove it to avoid accidentally switching your mappings intermittently.

If you do need a Spanish keyboard and you want your hardware keyboard to act like a Spanish hardware keyboard, you should tap over at the right edge and make that "Spanish ISO" (and NOT "automatic").

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and use an apple external keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.