Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14 - Blue toolbar icons for (some) extensions - can they be turned off?

Hi,

I've just installed Safari 14 and found that my various toolbar extension icons are being drawn in a murky blue colour which makes them harder to read. I've no idea what it is meant to symbolise and I can't see any obvious preference setting to go back to the original appearance.

Anyone know if there is a toggle to turn off this unwanted feature?

Many thanks,

Mike.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 9:35 AM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Mike Richards2

Hi Mike,

It seems you had some questions on the colors of your extensions in the toolbar and we can help.

As you can see, not all the extensions are the same color. Colors are supported and set by the extension itself. Grammarly, for instance, is green. Your other extensions shown are varying colors.

You should contact the developer of the specific extensions if you would like to have them update their extension icons:

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

You can also leave feedback for Apple regarding this behavior here:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Sep 20, 2020 3:25 PM in response to judysings

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I think the issue is caused by the Safari update not by the extension developers. Here's a screenshot from another Mac which hasn't been updated. I've put a red ring around three extension icons which are shown in white like the rest of the extension icons.

Now here is the latest version of Safari on another machine - as you can see some of the icons (but not all) are being painted in blue (purple highlight). So I'm sure the issue is with Safari not the extensions.

I have discovered that the colour of the highlight is the same as the system-wide accent colour set in System Preferences -> General. If I change the accent colour, the highlight in Safari changes to match (unless the accent is grey in which case Safari still draws blue highlights).

Mike.

Oct 10, 2020 9:20 AM in response to Mike Richards2

I have no backing for this, but I assume it is Apples way of telling us that the extension isn't native, as in third party. I've actually looked around in various asset files of my extensions and on some GitHub pages for my extensions and the resources are not the blue color. I have no fix for this, but agreed, it is a pain for my OCD;-).

Best regards,

/jsteweii

Safari 14 - Blue toolbar icons for (some) extensions - can they be turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.