Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is running OS Sierra 10.12.6 I am not able to use the audio in ZOOM because it requires a newer OS. Can I update my Sierra 10.12.6 to an intermediary OS and, then, update a second time to get recent capabilities?

My iMac is running on OS Sierra 10.12.6. I need to update it to a newer operating system as this is soooo out of date. The recent issue is that during a ZOOM meeting I was unable to produce sound to the group without using telephone audio through the leader. I would like to know if there is an OS I can update to, and then, secondarily, update to the most recent OS. This iMac has been a trooper, and I'd hesitate to et rid of it, IF I can update it.

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 10:46 AM

What year model is your iMac?

see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

A 2009 thru 2011 iMac that is running Sierra, can be upgraded to High Sierra.

see > How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

You will need a 2012 or later iMac's in order to upgrade to either Mojave or Catalina.

see > How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

and > How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 10:46 AM in response to MaryAnnesiMac

What year model is your iMac?

see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

A 2009 thru 2011 iMac that is running Sierra, can be upgraded to High Sierra.

see > How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

You will need a 2012 or later iMac's in order to upgrade to either Mojave or Catalina.

see > How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

and > How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

My iMac is running OS Sierra 10.12.6 I am not able to use the audio in ZOOM because it requires a newer OS. Can I update my Sierra 10.12.6 to an intermediary OS and, then, update a second time to get recent capabilities?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.