Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iphone on iMac running HIgh Sierra

I have an iPhone XS running iOS 13.7 and an iMac running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I haven't upgraded the OS on the Mac because Catalina is incompatible with a couple of apps that are critical to me (an issue I'm dealing with separately). I want to back up the iPhone to my computer before upgrading its OS, and now that iTunes has been crippled that does not seem to be possible. I prefer not to back up to the cloud, and it's more than a little infuriating that there seems to be no alternative.

Is there some way to back up my iPhone to my computer?

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:21 PM

Hi, B-Ribs.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We’re glad you decided to reach out about not being able to back up to your iMac. If we understand correctly, you’re keeping the iMac on macOS High Sierra, and your iPhone still has iOS 13.7, but you’re getting an error message when you attempt to back up. 

iTunes shouldn’t have been impacted on older macOS versions; the only changes were with macOS Catalina, so your iPhone should be able to back up up iTunes 12.8 or later.  Since 12.8 is the version that came out with macOS High Sierra, as long as you have the latest version of macOS High Sierra and all of the security updates installed you should be able to back up.

What happens when you try?

Does this article help? 

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup - Apple Support

All our best.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 7:21 PM in response to B-Ribs

Hi, B-Ribs.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We’re glad you decided to reach out about not being able to back up to your iMac. If we understand correctly, you’re keeping the iMac on macOS High Sierra, and your iPhone still has iOS 13.7, but you’re getting an error message when you attempt to back up. 

iTunes shouldn’t have been impacted on older macOS versions; the only changes were with macOS Catalina, so your iPhone should be able to back up up iTunes 12.8 or later.  Since 12.8 is the version that came out with macOS High Sierra, as long as you have the latest version of macOS High Sierra and all of the security updates installed you should be able to back up.

What happens when you try?

Does this article help? 

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup - Apple Support

All our best.

Sep 21, 2020 8:21 PM in response to judysings

Thank you for the response, and another lesson that I should have checked with Apple Support sooner. When I'd attach my iPhone, I'd get the following dialogue: and I assumed it wanted me to update the OS, which I'm not currently prepared to do as it disables certain apps that I need. When I clicked the "Install" button tonight, it apparently updated iTunes only, and it now recognizes my phone and I can still chug along on High Sierra until I can resolve the other application issues.

Thanks again--Bruce

Backup iphone on iMac running HIgh Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.