Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue creating an iCloud email address to associate with existing Apple ID

Hello,

I am attempting to change my Apple ID from my @gmail account to an @iCloud account, but am having issues creating the @iCloud address.

Using my MacBook I am currently trying:

System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Mail > Choose iCloud email address

This gives me an option to create a new iCloud email address, however choosing an address and clicking "OK" seems to load for a second and then do nothing. I get an error if the email address is already taken, but choosing a unique address doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure if this is an issue on my end or Apple's. There is a message that says "You cannot change your iCloud email address after creating it," but I assume this means I can only create one iCloud email address per Apple ID, not that I can't change the email address associated with my Apple ID.

Unfortunately I don't have any other Apple devices to test this with.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer me :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:40 AM

Solved!

I found someone having the same issue on iPhone which they were able to resolve by signing out and back into their Apple ID.

Good luck to anyone else that has this issue!

Similar questions

1 reply

Issue creating an iCloud email address to associate with existing Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.