Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac running sierra cannot boot up using disk utility

My 2012 imac was running ok but always had to wake up from the power button and often didn't shut down the normal way. I have been using Sierra. Today it refuses to boot up. I have tried most options. I can get to disk utility and all seem to check out ok but still no boot up. Usually a loading bar that takes light years to finish and then does nothing

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 5:10 PM

Most likely the hard drive on the iMac is beginning to fail. If you use Verbose Mode look to see if there are any "I/O errors" listed on the screen.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Try running the Apple Diagnostics.

5 replies

Sep 18, 2020 8:40 AM in response to zhuxai

Restart your mac.

Press Command (⌘) – V as soon your computer starts. Before the apple logo. While the Mac OS is loading it is paramount that it identifies that you had Command (⌘) – V  pressed.

This will bring the Verbose mode. It will show all the commands executed while the Mac OS is starting-up. Normally it will show Apple logo and the horizontal bar.

Anyway, very likely it will hang somewhere doing something and some point. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Sep 24, 2020 7:28 AM in response to xh0sa

xh0sa wrote:

Could not boot up in safe mode. Disk utility gave ok results for my hard drive

Disk Utility only checks the file system and does not check the health of the hard drive (technically it does check, but only reports when the drive is almost dead so not much use). If you are using Disk Utility does this mean you are booting into Recovery or Internet Recovery Mode? If you are booting to the internal drive normally, then run DriveDx and EtreCheck and post the reports here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Sometimes the Apple Diagnostics will detect a failing drive. Did you try Verbose Mode as the other user suggested and look to see if any "I/O Errors" were listed which would indicate a failing drive?

imac running sierra cannot boot up using disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.