Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Not Working In Catalina 10.15.6

All of a sudden, my finder icon has stopped working. When I click on the icon in my dock, nothing happens. I have to hold down the "Control" button and then click on it to access a menu that offers to open a "New Finder Window." Then it seems to work okay. However, when I click on the "Recents" folder in Finder, there is nothing there, even if I just took a screenshot or downloaded a photo or opened a pages document. I don't know if the two problems are related, but both have only started happening since the 10.15.6 update. Any idea what's happened or how to fix it?

I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch running (as stated above) Catalina 10.15.6

Thank you in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 1:24 PM

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Herstorygirl

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Finder Not Working In Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.