Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not marking SMS text as read

Hello,

I have been having an issue for quite some time with my watch not marking my text messages as read. The iMessage ones come through fine and if I read them on my phone they mark on my watch, however when I send or receive a message that’s not iPhone it makes it as unread even if I sent the message. I have tried unpairing and repairing, I have the newest version iOS 14 and watch os7 I have restarted you name it I’ve done it and it’s still not working. Any other advise?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 12:46 PM

I had no issues like this until the day I activated my new phone (12 Pro Max). No issues with iMessages, but if I read a non-iMessage SMS on my iPhone, it would still show unread on my Watch and iPad. I followed the steps listed in this thread and others, and the suggestions of some YouTube videos. I contacted Apple and after nearly three hours with an agent, it was escalated to engineering. Their last reply was that they were aware of the issue and hoped it would be resolved in an upcoming iOS 14.xx release.

After looking more into potential fixes, I decided to try this and it worked.

• On your iPhone: Go to Settings --> Messages --> Send & Receive.
  • Under You Can Receive iMessages To and Reply From, deselect your phone number. You will be asked to confirm you want to remove the number from iMessage and FaceTime. Click Remove. I did not lose any messages or experience any other irregularities on any of my devices when I did this.
  • After a few seconds, add the phone number back.

After doing this, any non-iMessage that came in to my iPhone that I read would correctly show as read on my Watch and iPad. It will not mark read any messages received before this, but moving forward after following those steps, it synced correctly.

Hopefully this is a possible fix for those who have exhausted all other options.

91 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Hairgeek_6

I had no issues like this until the day I activated my new phone (12 Pro Max). No issues with iMessages, but if I read a non-iMessage SMS on my iPhone, it would still show unread on my Watch and iPad. I followed the steps listed in this thread and others, and the suggestions of some YouTube videos. I contacted Apple and after nearly three hours with an agent, it was escalated to engineering. Their last reply was that they were aware of the issue and hoped it would be resolved in an upcoming iOS 14.xx release.

After looking more into potential fixes, I decided to try this and it worked.

• Under You Can Receive iMessages To and Reply From, deselect your phone number. You will be asked to confirm you want to remove the number from iMessage and FaceTime. Click Remove. I did not lose any messages or experience any other irregularities on any of my devices when I did this.

After doing this, any non-iMessage that came in to my iPhone that I read would correctly show as read on my Watch and iPad. It will not mark read any messages received before this, but moving forward after following those steps, it synced correctly.

Hopefully this is a possible fix for those who have exhausted all other options.

Nov 26, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Hairgeek_6

I also have been having this issue for weeks, probably since updating to the most recent iOS. (14.1). My Apple Watch is running version 7.1.

Messages will read as unread on my watch, despite all messages being shown as read in my phone. I have checked to make sure it’s not finding unread messages in a filtered view, such as “unknown senders,” but I default my Apple Watch view to “All messages.”

I have done the pairing, unpairing sequence, reset both my phone and watch, etc. which temporarily resolves the issue, but it’s almost like the pairing gets lost and when I read a message on my watch, it won’t recognize as read until I open it on my phone. This tends to happen most frequently when I receive messages from group texts, but it does happen in conversation threads with individuals, as well.

It’s very annoying to always think there’s an unread text on my phone, only to see they’ve all been read and my watch just isn’t keeping up. I hope they’re able to find a fix for this soon!

Sep 23, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Hairgeek_6

Hello Hairgeek_6, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. From your message it sounds like you're having an issue with SMS messages syncing between your iPhone and Apple Watch. 

If this is correct, let's begin by gathering some additional information:

1 - Are you currently using Messages in iCloud? 

2 - You mentioned that you've restarted. Have you restarted your iPhone and Apple Watch with the following sequence:

- Power off Apple Watch

- Power off iPhone 

- Power on iPhone 

- Power on Apple Watch

Be sure you've waited for each step to complete before proceeding to the next one. If you haven’t restarted the devices before, here’s how:

How to restart your Apple Watch

Restart your iPhone

Once the restarting is complete, test to see if there is any change with the way the SMS messages are performing on your Apple Watch.

3 - Are the SMS messages you send from the Apple Watch appearing on the iPhone at all?

4 - When did this issue first begin?

All the best.

Sep 23, 2020 8:03 PM in response to Hairgeek_6

Hi Hairgeek_6,

Great information you've provided.

With the issue occurring on your Mac as well as your Apple Watch, and only occurring with the SMS/MMS messages, the next step will be to check the Text Message Forwarding that you have set up.

Text Message Forwarding is how the other devices send and receive the SMS/MMS messages. Follow the steps from this article: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.

If all the settings appear correct, try turning it off on the Mac and iPhone > restarting the devices > and setting it up again.

Let us know the results.

Enjoy the day!

Nov 11, 2021 11:31 AM in response to Hairgeek_6

• This worked for me!
  • Thanks Mikey407!

Dec 8, 2021 12:57 PM in response to Hairgeek_6

I just want to make this relative again in 2021, this helped me and I want this thread to be the first option that comes up on a google search. This has been nagging at me for months and the solution below worked.

Try this!!!!

Sep 23, 2020 1:41 PM in response to cp from OH

Thank you so much for replying. Yes I currently am using messages in iCloud. I have turned that off and back on many times. I have completely restarted each device in that order. My SMS messages are coming thru on my phone and my watch. It is sometimes delayed on my watch but they come through both. If I open and reply on my phone and then look at my watch it does not mark it as read, and it marks the message I sent as an unread message counting the unread message as 2 unread if that makes sense. It’s also not marking them as read in my MAC either but I’m more concerned with my watch as his very annoying. It’s been going on for months, like 9-10months. I have unpaired and even set it up as a completely new watch and it works for a moment and then goes back to the unread.

Nov 5, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Hairgeek_6

I have this issue as well. I have a Apple Watch series 2 and iPhone 12.

This issue started when I upgraded from my Xr to iPhone 12 on iPhone 12 launch day. I am setup to use Messages in iCloud already.

When I send a Message with my watch it DOES immediately show in my phone. But when I read messages on my iPhone they still remain unread on my Apple Watch series 2. And when I send Messages from my iPhone they show in my Watch, but show as Unread. Said again, Messages I sent from my iPhone 12 show as Unread on my Watch Series 2.

I have attempted the power cycle path suggested in this thread and the issue remains. I have attempted Hard Re-boots on both iPhone and Watch and issue remains. I have Un-paired and reset my Watch and issue remains.

Nov 26, 2020 4:33 PM in response to Hairgeek_6

I had the same problem going from the iPhone X to iPhone 12 pro with my Apple Watch series 1. I just got series 6 watch and my non iMessage texts won’t show as read when I read them on my iPhone. If I read them on my Mac Book Pro they clear so it’s definitely an iPhone 12 issue. I called apple support and no one could help me.

Can someone solve this issue for us. It is a pain!!! Thanks

Apple Watch not marking SMS text as read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.