Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi Sustain Won't Release in Logic Pro X

I'm using Yamaha CP300 keyboard connected to my MAC. When I use Garage Band, everything works as it should. Sustain pedal works perfectly. When I switch to Logic Pro X everything works fine until I press the sustain pedal. Then it will not release the notes. It just holds them forever. I need to use the Midi Panic button on the keyboard to shut things off. Is there a setting in Logic Pro that I'm missing? Seems strange that it has problems in Logic, but it works fine in Garage Band.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 9:30 PM

Odd... Have you tried to reset Logic's preferences? Under the same Logic Menu under Preferences...reset all Preferences except key commands. This also requires a computer reboot.

That Keyboard probably has a midi setup for different types of pedal control. How many pedal plugins on the keyboard back panel? It sounds like it's not sending full MIDI 64 (sustain) ON=127, OFF=0

Perhaps a soft pedal setting. Be sude and chck the keyboards MIDI sustain settings. Logic and Garageband work differently, Logic's pianos accept more pedal combinations. Make sure the pedal is plugged into the Sustain Jack the power the keyboard off and back on with the pedal plugged in.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 9:30 PM in response to JPTalan

Odd... Have you tried to reset Logic's preferences? Under the same Logic Menu under Preferences...reset all Preferences except key commands. This also requires a computer reboot.

That Keyboard probably has a midi setup for different types of pedal control. How many pedal plugins on the keyboard back panel? It sounds like it's not sending full MIDI 64 (sustain) ON=127, OFF=0

Perhaps a soft pedal setting. Be sude and chck the keyboards MIDI sustain settings. Logic and Garageband work differently, Logic's pianos accept more pedal combinations. Make sure the pedal is plugged into the Sustain Jack the power the keyboard off and back on with the pedal plugged in.

Sep 18, 2020 7:43 PM in response to Pancenter

Tried that, but still has issues...

A little further testing and I've found that the sustain works perfectly... but only on certain sounds. On the electronic piano sounds the sustain works. On the Yamaha, Steinway Grand, Boesendorfer or other pianos it does not. It sounds like those old little keyboards that have a sustain button on them. Each note is sustained and slowly dies away.

When I start to play a sound the MIDI works fine but the moment I touch the pedal, it's like hitting that little sustain button. But there's no way to shut it off.

Another interesting note: When I used the "Grand Piano with Pad & Choir" sound, the pedal locks the piano sound on, but the Choir sound works perfectly. I can use the pedal to hold and release the choir, but the piano is stuck in the "on" position. I tried many other sounds and it's sort of random. Most of the pads seem to work OK, but most other instruments still hold like the pedal is locked down.

Sep 19, 2020 7:04 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The keyboard's pedal settings have a strange "half pedal" setting that defaults to "0". By changing that to +2 (highest setting) it allows the sustain pedal to function correctly on both MIDI and live performance. Can't tell any difference in the way it plays in live mode, so I'm really not sure what it really does. The keyboard manual has nothing on it. But everything is working now.

Thanks again!

Midi Sustain Won't Release in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.