Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue connecting to 3+ external displays to MacBook Pro 15" 2019

Technical Specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP794?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

MBP runs fine with 2 external monitors configured at 1080p, but adding a third external monitor at 1080p causes the MBP to fritz out (e.g. displays all start flashing, wi-fi connections cuts off, etc.).

If I am reading the technical specs correctly, I should be able to connect...

• Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

As both of these options are at a higher resolution that my basic 1080p, I should be able to connect up to 4 monitors that have a lower resolution.

Am I mistaken on that? Or need to make other adjustments or have a different issue?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 2:37 AM

Problem appears to have been using too many multi-port adaptors in series...HDMI into multi-port into multi-port into Thunderbolt on MBP (note this arrangement works if only using 2 external monitors).

Rearranged how the external displays were connected to the MBP so that each HDMI went into multi-port which went directly into Thunderbolt port on MBP. Presto...all displays appearing correctly with no flashing monitors nor wi-fi/other issues.

If I don't reply back further, consider that this solved the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 2:37 AM in response to Mizzen007

Problem appears to have been using too many multi-port adaptors in series...HDMI into multi-port into multi-port into Thunderbolt on MBP (note this arrangement works if only using 2 external monitors).

Rearranged how the external displays were connected to the MBP so that each HDMI went into multi-port which went directly into Thunderbolt port on MBP. Presto...all displays appearing correctly with no flashing monitors nor wi-fi/other issues.

If I don't reply back further, consider that this solved the problem.

Sep 19, 2020 3:17 AM in response to Mizzen007

The display doesn't work is one issue.

Wi-fi connections cuts off is another issue.

What are the other issues ?? when you say etc.

Are these 3 Monitors are identical or different monitors?

Have you checked / tested individually these monitors work normal when connected to MacBook Pro.

What type of connecting cables / adapters you are using to connect these monitors?

While you have connected all 3 monitors please run these command in terminal and post the result.

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

This should help further a step in troubleshooting.

Edit: The recent reply from you didn't appear/refreshed while I was replying.

Issue connecting to 3+ external displays to MacBook Pro 15" 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.