Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use multiple displays with your MacBook Pro

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports). As written in this article, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211191 I should be able to connect two 4k external monitors. I have two monitor less than 4K but impossible to connect both. Only one is active.

When I disconnect the first, the second come active so the adapters are all okay.

Any idea why this is not working as expected ?

Thx

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:44 PM

It’s a hardware restriction and will not change. The M1 chip supports one external display (in the case of the M1 Mac Mini you get two, but that’s only because there’s no internal display).

These are the low end Apple silicon Macs, future chips (M1x, whatever) used in a 16” model or desktop Mac will almost certainly support >1 display.

The only option in your case is a ‘fake’ extra display using a DisplayLink hub. It won’t be hardware accelerated, won’t work with AppleTV, and is subject to being borked by macOS updates at least until drivers are updated. But it may work for you.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 12:44 PM in response to ymettan

It’s a hardware restriction and will not change. The M1 chip supports one external display (in the case of the M1 Mac Mini you get two, but that’s only because there’s no internal display).

These are the low end Apple silicon Macs, future chips (M1x, whatever) used in a 16” model or desktop Mac will almost certainly support >1 display.

The only option in your case is a ‘fake’ extra display using a DisplayLink hub. It won’t be hardware accelerated, won’t work with AppleTV, and is subject to being borked by macOS updates at least until drivers are updated. But it may work for you.

Dec 8, 2020 12:19 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Only the currently active one is displayed. If i try to press Option and "Detect Monitors", nothing append.

I'm just watching on the tech specs of the product on the apple website and that's what is written:

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

So now, I don't know if more than one external display should be supported as described on the support page for less than 6K monitors...

Use multiple displays with your MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.