Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Xcode 12.0 simulator causing cracking speaker sound (MacBook Pro 2020 13')

Hey Apple,

I'm experiencing cracking speaker sound when simulator is launched and running on my Xcode project. The fans will go high and after a while cracking sound will gone, but when I change my codes and build/preview Swift UI, the jet fans go high again and speakers sound is cracking again.

Please help. I have reset my PRAM and still having the same issue.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 9:14 AM

So far I have tried the Kill coreaudiod fix from the Developer Forums and it works! https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/667246

Solution: 

1. Open 'Activity Monitor' (Use spotlight or launchpad).
  2. Search 'coreaudiod' and double click it.
  3. Quit the 'coreaudiod'.
  4. It will work.

Credit should go to:

Munon

https://developer.apple.com/forums/profile/Munon

Similar questions

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 9:14 AM in response to felixwcf

So far I have tried the Kill coreaudiod fix from the Developer Forums and it works! https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/667246

Solution: 

1. Open 'Activity Monitor' (Use spotlight or launchpad).
  2. Search 'coreaudiod' and double click it.
  3. Quit the 'coreaudiod'.
  4. It will work.

Credit should go to:

Munon

https://developer.apple.com/forums/profile/Munon

Nov 27, 2020 12:20 AM in response to lauvrenn

Don't think so ....

I had this problem two months ago with my old MacBook Pro 13" 2017...

I went to the Apple store several times and they changed the logic board twice ...

As the bug was not from hardware it came back ... they finally changed my Mac with a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" ...

I had again this sound problem yesterday and I finally realised, in fact it comes from the Simulator ... XD

Dec 19, 2020 6:19 AM in response to felixwcf

Hi, everybody! There may be a solution you want here. This problem has been bothering me before. Until today, when I tried to test with Airpods Pro, it still made a popping sound, not only that, the sound quality became very poor. It reminds me of the iPhone’s sound quality when it’s screen recording. This inspired me. Maybe we got the wrong idea, not to set the output, but the input. Try to switch between different input device, hope it work. Good luck!!!

Apr 28, 2021 12:18 PM in response to felixwcf

This is embarrassing - not sure how a £3000 laptop is unable to play music and run an iOS simulator. I have this issue on my MBP 16in 2020 (i7, 32GB ram), as well as on my M1 Mac Mini and my 15" 2016 MBP so this is not limited to one device (or architecture). The Blackhole app is a workaround, and I am very grateful to the person who posted it, but Apple need to get on top of issues like this and actually fix them - there have just been too many issues with really glaring bugs recently in both iOS and macOS. Please sort it out Apple - I think it is reasonable to expect a premium experience from a premium device, and this is simply shoddy.

May 9, 2021 3:32 AM in response to felixwcf

I've been having the same issue on my MacBook 2020, 13". It's impossible to listen to music or watch a tutorial while using Xcode. The audio starts to crack and lag making it distracting. My 2017 MacBook Pro never had that issue and I can hardly call this a MacBook Pro if it can't handle what my older MacBook Pro could. I really hope there will be a fix to this, because I'm starting to think it's not a software issue.

May 28, 2021 5:30 PM in response to felixwcf

I am just learning Swift, but I have been using the "iPod touch (7th Generation)" simulator the whole time I have been learning and never had this problem. However, today I tried to switch to the "iPhone 12" and "iPhone 11" simulators and the moment I ran one of those simulators my music started crackling.

I guess if you can get away with using the "iPod touch (7th Generation)" simulator for the project that you are working on, that could be used as a workaround for now.

I am using MacOS BigSur version 11.4 and XCode version 12.5 (12E262)

Running Xcode 12.0 simulator causing cracking speaker sound (MacBook Pro 2020 13')

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.