Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing iPhone (ios14) with High Sierra using itunes

I received message to update my iPhone Xs to IOS14.0. I connected to iTunes on iMac with High Sierra to do make a backup to the computer first while doing the download only. After download was completed, I selected update but nothing happened. I disconnected and reconnected, saw the update button, but nothing happened when clicked. I disconnected and decided to do the update and install from the iPhone directly. Upon completion, I reconnected to iTunes, heard the usually beep, but NEVER saw the iPhone icon in the left corner. So now there is not way to do any backup or update to computer nor can I get to the recent backup on computer to restore (I can use yesterdays backup to iCloud on phone if needed, but not as ideal as more recent computer backup). I have restarted iMac and restarted iPhone but nothing. Of course this computer version will not use the Finder for syncing so what to do now before restoring from iCloud phone backup as last resort.?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 9:14 AM

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 & 14 require iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

I've assumed that if iOS 14 is supposed to be supported by High Sierra then this method which worked for iOS 13 will work for iOS 14 too.

tt2

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 9:14 AM in response to Westynyc

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 & 14 require iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

I've assumed that if iOS 14 is supposed to be supported by High Sierra then this method which worked for iOS 13 will work for iOS 14 too.

tt2

May 5, 2021 11:47 PM in response to soundboy44

For iOS 14 or later you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

You can also try reinstalling iTunes 12.8.2.3 over the current install.

tt2

Sep 20, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Hawkster

It turns out that their is a bug with the early version of IOS 14.0 that has caused this very problem with many others. Unfortunately, this release and my anxious update were within about 24 hours or less; so, not much time before it became apparent to others. Apple support expects a fix in the coming weeks -either as a special patch to iTunes on IMac (in my case High Sierra version of iTunes) or perhaps an IOS 14.1 release. In the meantime, I can wait by doing iCloud backups from phone only -and yes, iTunes V12.10.8.5 that I am using on my windows computer does not have any such issues. So that is now my interim backup to local disk solution.

Oct 18, 2020 11:34 PM in response to turingtest2

When I click on the dialog box that says "A software update is required to connect to your iPhone", it thinks for a minute, then says " Installation failed. Can't download the software because of a network problem".

In my case, I'm trying to sync a iPhone 10XR, with 14.0.1 iOS, to a MacBook Pro (Early 2011), that has High Sierra OS, which is the highest OS I can run, to iTunes version 12.8.2.3, which is the latest update.

The funny thing is, my Photo app recognizes my iPhone, and of course I can import all my pictures and videos.

I have audio from my Voice Memos app I need to transfer to iTunes. I guess I can try transferring them to a Windows based machine. I'm an audio engineer, so I can conceivably connect a mini-jack adaptor to my phone and record the audio real time to my Digidesign M-Box, then transfer the AIFF audio files to iTunes from an external hard drive, then covert them to MP3s, whew!

Or maybe Apple can create a patch on the next iOS update that solves this problem.

Oct 19, 2020 5:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Spot on! With all those versions in place, I opened the MobileDeviceUpdater from the designated folder and was notified of an update. After completion, the iPhone Xs returned that familiar connection beep and again display the phone icon in the upper left corner of iTunes. Backup to IMac once again back in operation. Excellent response and solution for my issue. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Tbuddhist

I am having the exact same problem: "When I click on the dialog box that says "A software update is required to connect to your iPhone", it thinks for a minute, then says " Installation failed. Can't download the software because of a network problem".

I have an iPhone XS, with 14.0.1 iOS, to a MacBook Pro (Early 2011), that has High Sierra OS, which is the highest OS I can run, to iTunes version 12.8.2.3, which is the latest update.

My Photo app recognizes my iPhone, and I can import all my pictures and videos, but it still is not recognized in iTunes.

I tried the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources, but when the software update starts, it never goes all the way through and says installation failed.

Any help would be appreciated. Did you get your problem fixed yet? Thank you for your help!

Oct 19, 2020 1:38 PM in response to frie0272

frie0272 wrote:

I just did and no luck. I still get the "installation failed" message. Wifi works and I even tried a direct connection. Internet is working. Anything else to try? Could this be a current glitch? Thanks again

Yes, it could be a glitch at Apple's end. You can try again tomorrow or contact Apple Support to see if they can offer any advice.

tt2

Oct 24, 2020 9:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Turingtest2's suggestion just worked for me. Many thanks.

I got a new (2nd hand) iphone 8 today. I connected it to my iMac to transfer the contents of my old iPhone but the i8 and the Mac could not "see" each other.

I called Apple technical support and was incorrectly told that the High Sierra on my Mac was incompatible with the iOS 14 on my i8. I was advised to upgrade to a newer version of the Mac OS (I do not want to do that) or transfer the data via iCloud and WiFi (a very slow process).

I stumbled across this thread. Followed the steps set out by Turingtest and hey presto - it worked perfectly.

Well done and thank you.

Hope Apple technical support read this.

Nov 16, 2020 10:50 PM in response to Westynyc

Same problem here, but it's Nov 17 2020! I'm still wondering if there is some sort of Apple bug. My message is the same network issue, can't download the update file for iTunes - but I'm running iTunes 12.8.6.3. I should be good, right? Unless the updater has a problem with something that would seem widespread and quickly fixed. Can anyone help? I've tried all of usual things (restarting, exhausting all options I know to install iTunes update) a number of times, and I can't get around it.

Nov 16, 2020 11:01 PM in response to CordovaATL

Let me clarify with new info - iTunes will not recognize the iPhone now running 14.2 (updated tonight using iPhone ONLY thru network). But FINDER WILL recognize this 14.2 iPhone and prompt for the update.

There is Software "Security" update 2020-006 10-13-6 perhaps waiting to update iTunes error, although the security update mentions IOS in ways I'm not sure what mean - maybe that these were iOS date releases.

Security Update will not install. Period. It refuses is all circumstances. "Could not connect to the server(-1004)".

I beg for any insight!

Dec 6, 2020 7:05 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2 your solution worked for me. I can now sync all my ripped music on iTunes back onto my iphone 12 pro which was lost when i upgraded from iphone X.

I am running macOS high sierra 10.13.6 on a 2010 iMac with iTunes 12.8.2.3

I even downloaded the latest version of iTunes to my pc laptop which did connect to my phone but couldn't bring myself to start ripping again so had one last look for a solution and found your post, worked brilliantly in minutes, thanks again.

syncing iPhone (ios14) with High Sierra using itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.