Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie external HDD no longer recognised

My LaCie drive (2TB Rugged Thunderbolt) has been working fine connected via Thunderbolt 2 (the old squarish shaped connector) to my 2015 IMAC 5K.  When this broke beyond economic repair, I have just now purchased a new 2020 IMAC 5k and am trying to connect the drive to it via the new Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connexions on the IMAC.  The drive is not recognised.  I tried using a new branded Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable rather than the inbuilt one that comes with the LaCie drive with no success either.

If I connect the drive via the LaCie provided USB cable (USB-C on the LaCie to USB-3 on the IMAC, the drive IS recognised but obviously I want to use the faster Thunderbolt connection.

When the drive is attached via USB-C, the IMAC system report says no devices are connected. I have no other USB-C devices to test with the IMAC.

Is there a compatibility issue at play here or are the USB-C ports on the IMAC faulty?

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 9:55 AM

You will need to try a > Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

(can't promise that it will work though, because I do not have the same setup)

You can also use it with the USB 3.0 cable plugged into a USB-C port with a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter, but it will only run at USB 3.0 speed. > https://www.amazon.com/Adapter?

What are you using the LaCie for that requires more speed than USB-3.0 speed can provide?

(if you need something faster, get a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) external drive)

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 9:55 AM in response to gordonfromtetbury

You will need to try a > Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

(can't promise that it will work though, because I do not have the same setup)

You can also use it with the USB 3.0 cable plugged into a USB-C port with a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter, but it will only run at USB 3.0 speed. > https://www.amazon.com/Adapter?

What are you using the LaCie for that requires more speed than USB-3.0 speed can provide?

(if you need something faster, get a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) external drive)

LaCie external HDD no longer recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.