Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain sync and other issues...

Hi all! Looking for some help before I head to the Apple store regarding some syncing issues...

I had the 11 pro handset, this developed a fault (overheating/battery issues) so a replacement/exchange was sent out. Another 11 pro. So on the ‘old’ one I - disabled find my iPhone, backed up everything to my iCloud, and done a reset/erase all and gave to the delivery driver. New phone - used my iCloud backup, everything SEEMED fine - photos, apps etc all there until I noticed none of my keychain is there, so all website/app logins (I’ve got loads...) email/credit card info (although this was pulled through fine for wallet. Not a big deal but I also noticed my free Apple TV trial is not displaying in iCloud on the iPhone as it did on the phone I sent back and still is on my iPad. Thought I would do a reset and start again but... even though all the photos seemed to be uploaded it has been ‘updating’ photos for a few hours now. So kinda dont want to risk losing data. It’s been plugged in, screen locked, on WiFi still not finished.

ive tried the classic - turn off and on

keychain/auto fill passwords are all on, I’ve tried toggle off, wait, back on.

any ideas?

I know key chain isn’t part of your iCloud back up per say but it should still have pulled through from my iCloud? Scratching my head here... (sorry long post!!)

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 12:17 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 19, 2020 2:45 PM in response to Helen-13

iCloud Keychain is not like other cloud services. Normally, all of your data is stored on Apple's servers and any new device and pull the information from there. But iCloud Keychain does not work that way. Your passwords are not stored on Apple's servers. They are only stored on your devices.

This can be a problem when you are setting up a new device, or an old device. The devices may not be able decide which of them needs an update. I think the problem came from disabling the old phone before setting up the new one.

Here is a support document from Apple that might help: https://support.apple.com/HT203783

This kind of problem is usually easier to understand and keep resolved going forwards. Once you have a situation where devices are confused over which one needs updates, you may never get them working again.

One possible solution would be to avoid restoring from the old iPhone 11. If you just set this up as a new iPhone, it should pull all of your iCloud data, including iCloud Keychain data from the older device. But this is only going to work if you had pretty much everything iCloud turned on. For example, if you didn't have iCloud Photos enabled, then your photos are only going to be in the backup.

My recommendation would be to stop everything, go through your existing passwords and record them in a secure location. You may need to reset iCloud Keychain to get it working. It is also likely that having those phones get confused could cause you to lose those passwords.

Sep 19, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Helen-13

Update - tried a factory reset. Backed up from ‘old’ iPhone 11pro again, still no key chain on this phone. Photo updating issue seems to have resolved itself so that’s good. Switched on my old iPhone 7 and all my key chain info is there so why is it not syncing? Checked everything toggled again and it is.

again the free Apple TV trial (that I don’t need) isn’t displayed on my new phone but it is on the iCloud on iPad and iPhone 7, so says to me still some iCloud issues ie not fully synced??

Sep 19, 2020 3:00 PM in response to etresoft

Hi etresoft

thank you for this. I always do the data transfer phone to phone so never had this issue before. Unfortunately that wasn’t an option this time as the old handset had to be erased first... I’ve got a few hundred passwords (iPhone generated long passwords) so don’t fancy making a log of them, would love to be able to transfer them across somehow.

Keychain sync and other issues...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.