Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Sync Issue

After a long day of troubleshooting, I have come to realize that my ipad air 1st gen on 12.5.7 is not interacting properly with iCloud. When I go to Settings>Name>iCloud I see "Unable to load Storage info" at the top. If I click on Manage Storage I get a spinning wheel and then it stops after awhile.

I know my email credentials. I know my apple id credentials. I can log into icloud.com and it indicates that I have "icloud web-only" and that I can get full icloud functionality by logging into icloud from the ipad.

I am stuck in the following loop. It starts with me having a new appleid.com password (I am logged into appleid.com and icloud.com from my main computer and everything looks ok on the ipad). Then I do something that forces the ipad to prompt for an icloud password (enable icloud keychain). I type in the password that allowe me to log into appleid.com, icloud.com and download apps and the ipad comes back with a dialog that says "Apple ID Locked" Your Apple ID has been locked for security reasons.

I can then unlock my account to get a new password setup and the whole cycle begins again. I have tried with two factor on and off.

What can I do to get the ipad synced back up to its icloud storage? Icloud thinks there are no devices because I only have 1 gig of storage.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 4:02 PM

Hi NotIrma,

It might be helpful for you to speak with Apple directly about this issue. Click the link below for additional assistance on this matter.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Kindest regards!

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 27, 2023 10:38 AM in response to Community User

Salutations NotIrma, 

Have you previously been able to log in with your Apple ID and see your iCloud account details on your iPad? If so, can you pinpoint what changed just prior to this becoming an issue? 

There are a few steps we can recommend, to kick off troubleshooting and isolating. 

1. Restart your iPad and test again - Restart your iPad

2. Test while connected to a different Wi-Fi network. 

3. If there is any VPN or security software installed on your iPad, remove it, restart and test again. Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2023 3:49 PM in response to AnnieL2

Thank you for those tips. I have executed them all with no change in behavior. I have now removed all apps on the ipad except for the seven apple supplied apps that cannot be removed. I tried to log into icloud and saw the apple id locked error. I then "reset all settings" and then joined my wireless network again. From my main computer I logged into appleid.com. I used the "locked" password but was confronted with the security questions when I entered it. I made it through those and then dismissed the two prompts to move to 2FA. I then changed my apple id password on the web. Almost immediately the message popped up on the ipad to "Enter your Apple ID password in Settings".

So the communication in terms of apple ID seems to be working to and from the ipad. It has something to do with iCloud.

Back in 2017 Apple locked a bunch of icloud accounts. Did the consumers have to do anything special to unlock those account or is changing the apple id password enough to unlock your icloud?

Mar 27, 2023 5:52 PM in response to R_Gabriel

One of the last things the support line suggested was to go into recover mode and restore the ipad. They indicated that there was a chance I would brick the ipad. I did the restore and got scared when I was entering my password and it was telling me that it was invalid. Luckily there was the option of using the PIN of the ipad. I used that and made it through the restore.

It was still tied to my apple ID and find my ipad was still on but now the icloud area was populated and I had the 5gig plan instead of the 1gig plan. I was able to turn off find my ipad and then log out of my apple id.

I am now logged back in and erase all data and reset works. So I will finally have an ipad that is set up from scratch.

iCloud Sync Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.