Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a firmware patch exist for the Apple Extreme 1300 AC to cover security for a WPA3 setting? Currently, my AE is only capable of a WPA2 setting. It's my understanding that WPA2 isn't that secure anymore. Please advise. Thanks, Dennis

Does a firmware patch exist for the Apple Extreme 1300 AC to cover security for a WPA3 setting? Currently, my AE is only capable of a WPA2 setting. It's my understanding that WPA2 isn't that secure anymore. Please advise. Thanks, Dennis

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 1:05 PM

Does a firmware patch exist for the Apple Extreme 1300 AC to cover security for a WPA3 setting?

No, remember that WPA3 requires specific hardware or chipsets that were years into the future at the time that the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac was developed and designed. Apple never changed the hardware on the AirPort from the time that it was introduced in 2013 to the time that is was discontinued in 2018.

It's my understanding that WPA2 isn't that secure anymore.

It's fine for the vast majority of home users. Even if WPA3 might be available on some routers now, it is still bleeding edge stuff. Those who try to live on the bleeding edge tend to get bloody as newer technologies develop.

In a few years, WPA3 will be standard on new routers. But, by that time, there will likely be rumors about how "secure" it might be so we'll be off on another new chase.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 1:05 PM in response to MinotaurEvans

Does a firmware patch exist for the Apple Extreme 1300 AC to cover security for a WPA3 setting?

No, remember that WPA3 requires specific hardware or chipsets that were years into the future at the time that the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac was developed and designed. Apple never changed the hardware on the AirPort from the time that it was introduced in 2013 to the time that is was discontinued in 2018.

It's my understanding that WPA2 isn't that secure anymore.

It's fine for the vast majority of home users. Even if WPA3 might be available on some routers now, it is still bleeding edge stuff. Those who try to live on the bleeding edge tend to get bloody as newer technologies develop.

In a few years, WPA3 will be standard on new routers. But, by that time, there will likely be rumors about how "secure" it might be so we'll be off on another new chase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.