Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro won't update to Catalina 10.15.6

Please tell me why my Mac Pro won't update to Catalina 10.15.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 8:27 PM

bal005 Said:

"Please tell me why my Mac Pro won't update to Catalina 10.15.6: [...]I have been able to do updates in the past. I’m not sure how to do it in safe mode.[...]"

So, if it is a device with 10.15.5 (or some others), and it is no upgrading refer to these sites:

Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But Backup First.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 8:27 PM in response to bal005

bal005 Said:

"Please tell me why my Mac Pro won't update to Catalina 10.15.6: [...]I have been able to do updates in the past. I’m not sure how to do it in safe mode.[...]"

So, if it is a device with 10.15.5 (or some others), and it is no upgrading refer to these sites:

Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But Backup First.

Sep 20, 2020 4:42 PM in response to bal005

It may have come with Catalina, but if it is still running High Sierra or Mojave, you need to Upgrade. Think of it like a new purchase, but on sale for $0. search the Mac App Store for Catalina.

If you are running an older version of Catalina, use:

system preferences > Software update

If it does not seem to want to install, you may be running something that interferes with proper operation of your Mac, such as third-party anti-Virus. You can bypass that by Installing from Safe Mode.

My Mac Pro won't update to Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.