Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate from internal to external SSD on same iMac?

Hi, amazingly I can't find any info on this online. I want to migrate my user account from the slower internal Fusion drive to a faster external Samsung T5 SSD, all on the same computer.

I'd like to use a migration assistant, and reinstall macOS along the way.

Crucially I need the iMac to boot from the SSD after the migration process.

Any bullet point tips on how to execute this procedure would be much appreciated. Thanks.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 6:58 PM

AppleIIme Said:

"How do I migrate from internal to external SSD on same iMac?: I would like to use Migration Assistant. The reason is, on the advice of other users here, I want to do a migration excluding Applications and Settings, to help clean up the system. Cloner apps would clone everything, and I have to pay for them. Is there any way to move to bootable external SSD using Migration Assistant whilst installing a clean copy of macOS but excluding apps?"

-------

See my Post:

So, you'd reinstall the macOS anew:

You'd backup your Mac, reinstall the macOS anew, and then Migrate items back.

1. Create: a Time Machine Backup using an external Hard Drive
  2. Install: from a USB Installer created for macOS 10.14 Mojave
  3. Migrate: items from your TMB
  4. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.***

***Note: If Applications are not migrated, yo may need to get licenses reactivated. To get this complete, contact the Developer). A Restore did not fix this, nor did a TMB Recovery, 

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 6:58 PM in response to AppleIIme

AppleIIme Said:

"How do I migrate from internal to external SSD on same iMac?: I would like to use Migration Assistant. The reason is, on the advice of other users here, I want to do a migration excluding Applications and Settings, to help clean up the system. Cloner apps would clone everything, and I have to pay for them. Is there any way to move to bootable external SSD using Migration Assistant whilst installing a clean copy of macOS but excluding apps?"

-------

See my Post:

So, you'd reinstall the macOS anew:

You'd backup your Mac, reinstall the macOS anew, and then Migrate items back.

1. Create: a Time Machine Backup using an external Hard Drive
  2. Install: from a USB Installer created for macOS 10.14 Mojave
  3. Migrate: items from your TMB
  4. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.***

***Note: If Applications are not migrated, yo may need to get licenses reactivated. To get this complete, contact the Developer). A Restore did not fix this, nor did a TMB Recovery, 

Sep 19, 2020 9:32 PM in response to rccharles

To answer your question "Who are they?" Tom Wolsky (Level 10) in this thread said today:

"If you’re going to install a new drive in the computer I would suggest doing a clean install and reinstalling the applications, migrating only the users."

Luis Sequiera1 (Level 8) agreed stating:

"As Tom said, elect to migrate only the users, and do NOT migrate applications, settings or other files. Install only the applications that you need, fresh from the App Store or the respective developers' sites."

By contrast you are recommending doing a full clone of the drive including all apps and their settings, with CCC because otherwise, as you say:

"It's going to be a PITA to get all your old settings configured."

I thought I agreed with this, indeed I stated in that thread almost exactly the same thing:

"though it seems snappier with a fresh clean account, might I be about to waste 5 hours only to then cause the same slowdown once the install is no longer "clean" but rather bogged down? ... I don't understand why I shouldn't migrate applications/settings."

I don't really worry about whether you guys are Levels 6, 8, or 10. What I worry about is a huge hassle that extends many days as I continue to find settings that have been lost and need to be meticulously recreated to my preferred way of working, in complex apps like FCPX, Photoshop, Fusion 360, etc.

Obviously if I can avoid that, I'd like to.

Between the 4 of you, could you come to a consensus here do you think? Is a clean install really necessary, intentionally omitting to migrate applications (and their settings)?

If it is necessary, here's the specifics of what I have never understood about that philosophy:

• Let's say FCPX is slow
  • And let's say that is blamed on old applications and their settings .plist files "cluttering up the system"
  • Whilst I do understand that they are "taking up space" on the hard disk, unless that app is loaded at the same time as FCPX, how can its "clutter" (.app file and .plist files) slow down another app like FCPX? Those older apps are sitting, unopened, on the HDD.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sep 20, 2020 1:36 AM in response to AppleIIme

It is not that hard to perform a clean install and migrate your account.

As discussed elsewhere, this avoids bringing back all the stuff accumulated over the years.

Below you find instructions on how to make a clean install on your external and migrate the stuff.

Even though you are not erasing the internal drive, you should have a backup before proceeding.

-------

• Download the full installer from the App Store. If the installer starts automatically, quit it.

• Create an installer drive on a thumb drive, following the instructions here:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-us

• On recent macs, you may need to authorize booting from an external drive, which may be disabled by default. You do this in "Boot Security Utility".

Information about this is available in this support document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

---- do not proceed further without a backup!!!! ---- 

• Restart your mac holding the Option key, and select that installer disk to boot your mac

• Use Disk Utility to reformat your destination drive as APFS. Erase the full drive, not just the volumes inside it

• Quit Disk Utility and start the installer. Select the drive where you want to install and proceed

• When asked, choose to migrate content from "another mac, time machine or drive". You can select your internal drive as the source

IMPORTANT: elect to migrate ONLY user accounts; NOT applications, settings or other files

Sep 19, 2020 5:46 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks but as stated, I would like to use Migration Assistant. The reason is, on the advice of other users here, I want to do a migration excluding Applications and Settings, to help clean up the system. Cloner apps would clone everything, and I have to pay for them.

Is there any way to move to bootable external SSD using Migration Assistant whilst installing a clean copy of macOS but excluding apps?

Sep 19, 2020 6:01 PM in response to AppleIIme

carbon copy cloner is free for the first 30 days of use.

The reason is, on the advice of other users here, I want to do a

migration excluding Applications and Settings, to help clean up the

system.

Who are they? seems like the kind of advice you'd get on a windows system.

You have two level 10 users and me as a level 6 user saying to use a cloning utility. It's going to be a PITA to get all your old settings configured.

You can be on your own. You can download your current version of macos from the app store. You can install it on the external drive. you can use migration assistant. to copy over what you want.

R

Sep 20, 2020 4:52 AM in response to AppleIIme

Just to add to what Luis said, I use TM for backup history and CCC for immediate backup, and I also use Migration Assistant. During the installation process you have the option to migrate. I migrate just the user from CCC because it’s much quicker than TM. Just because CCC and SuperDuper! are clones you don’t have the migrate the whole clone.

Sep 20, 2020 6:53 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Good point, Tom. I agree completely.

I do the same thing (well, I use SuperDuper! because I have bought it a long time ago and, just like FCP, have had free updates for years; of, CCC is fine, too).

On a sidenote, if you don't mind my asking: how is the speed of doing these backups?

I always find that backups with SuperDuper! or CCC are quite slow. [I tested the trial of CCC because of this, but found it only marginally faster than SuperDuper!]

Even if both drives, source and destination, are SSD, and using an incremental backup, where the two drives have mostly the same content (say 95% the same files), it takes a long time. The "effective copy speed" does not even come close to what the drives are capable of.

Sep 20, 2020 7:01 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

SD! and CCC are very similar. The first backup is slow, but nothing compared to TM. Incremental clones after that are very quick because it only copies altered files The restore/migrate from CCC is much, much faster than TM. I’m guessing because of TM’s history the files are very scattered and have to be cherry picked from the directory. CCC seems more reliable on migrate. I’ve had failures with TM during the process.

Sep 20, 2020 7:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks. Yes, I understand the principle, and I agree.

My question was not about migrating, but the speed of doing those incremental backups in SuperDuper! and CCC.

My problem is that those incremental clones still take a looong time, and I have been unable to figure out what is wrong.

A full backup of, say, a 500GB drive with 400GB worth of files takes a long time. Fine.

The expectation is that if only 10GB worth of files changed since the last clone, it should go very fast.

It does go somewhat faster than the first backup, but it still takes an enormity of time (and that is between two fast SSD).

Sep 20, 2020 7:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So I just did an incremental backup on CCC from the internal SSD of the MBP to an external 500 GB SSD. It was just over 19 GB and took 12 minutes 25. Time Machine was also running at the same time, which must have slowed it down somewhat. Obviously that's not as fast as just copying that amount of data, but then the application is also pawing through hundreds of thousands of files on the system drive.

According to CCC these clones will no longer be bootable drives in the next OS. You'll only be able to clone the data partition. You can of course install an OS on it, but the OS won't be part of the clone. You'd have to boot into and update the OS manually.

How do I migrate from internal to external SSD on same iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.