Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can Migration Assistant be used to move information From a Bootable external SSD back to the Fusion Drive on my Imac

A few months ago, I installed a Bootable external SSD using a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M2 SSD on my Retina 5k 27-inch 2017 Imac which runs Ventura 13.6.1. The installation was successful and my system boots from the external SSD without any problems. To do the installation I followed the instructions in an article posted on the Apple Community System found here.

I then used Migration Assistant to move everything that could be moved to the new External bootable SSD. I left the earlier version of Ventura on the Fusion drive but I deleted the data from the Macintosh HD - Data directory on the Fusion Drive. Everything worked fine.

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to move everything back to the Fusion Drive and how I might go about that process?

My end goal is to repurpose the External SSD as a dedicated Time Machine backup if at all possible.

Thank you

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 8:51 AM

Frankly I would just leave things as they are, as booting from the SSD is working fine for you. Why not just buy another external drive and dedicate that to TM backups? External drives are cheap enough now, and for TM it doesn´t have to be an SSD. A mechanical HDD will do the trick! And you could use the internal fusion drive to archive stuff, for example. Hope this helps you!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 8:51 AM in response to Gitt-99

Frankly I would just leave things as they are, as booting from the SSD is working fine for you. Why not just buy another external drive and dedicate that to TM backups? External drives are cheap enough now, and for TM it doesn´t have to be an SSD. A mechanical HDD will do the trick! And you could use the internal fusion drive to archive stuff, for example. Hope this helps you!

Nov 14, 2023 9:04 AM in response to Gitt-99

You´re very welcome, Gitt-99! Do make sure that you completely erase your new HDD when you get it! In my experience a lot of brand new external drives have Windows software or similar pre-installed, and these have no business on a drive to be used with a Mac! It´s so long since I´ve connected a new drive for Time Machine, but I think when you connect the drive for the first time you´ll be asked if you want to use it for Time Machine. TM does the rest! Cheers!

Can Migration Assistant be used to move information From a Bootable external SSD back to the Fusion Drive on my Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.