Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant transfer via usb 3

I'm familiar with using Migration Assistant via Firewire/Thunderbolt and Target Disk Mode or via a Time Machine Backup via WiFi or USB connection.

I have an odd setup now that I am not sure will work when using Migration Assistant:

2012 iMac running Mojave on an external 1TB SSD plugged into the USB 3 port.

When I first installed Mojave on this iMac it ran dog-slow using the existing Hard Drive. Then I found out Mojave was optimized for SSD, so I learned how to install the OS on an External SSD and boot from that. The OS and all User Files are on that SSD that is plugged into the USB 3 port. Works great.

I also have it backed up to another external HD via Time Machine.

Planning on getting a new iMac in January but wondering if I can avoid the lengthy Migration Assistant transfer from Time Machine if I just use the SSD that currently contains Mojave and all User Files. It is basically "another computer" but I can't use Target Disk Mode with just an SSD and I'm just wondering if Migration Assistant will be able to access it directly via USB 3 when it comes time.

Since I am trading in the 2012 iMac that it is connected to, I can't "press the T key" to enable Target Disk Mode. I will only have the 1TB SSD with everything on it.

If not, I still have the Time Machine backup, but I would like to avoid since it tends to take forever.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:54 PM

Yes, it should work. See:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/migration-assistant-using-startup-disk-with-older-version-of-macos.2236807/

As discussed above, you likely really want to use Setup Assistant which is done during initial startup of a new Mac. Doing it later with Migration Assistant creates a new user for the copied material.

I would not copy everything, only things like Users, that includes app data, but not the apps themselves and system settings

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 1:54 PM in response to J-J-

Yes, it should work. See:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/migration-assistant-using-startup-disk-with-older-version-of-macos.2236807/

As discussed above, you likely really want to use Setup Assistant which is done during initial startup of a new Mac. Doing it later with Migration Assistant creates a new user for the copied material.

I would not copy everything, only things like Users, that includes app data, but not the apps themselves and system settings

Dec 16, 2021 2:25 PM in response to lllaass

ah thank you that was helpful. I should have said "SETUP ASSISTANT" rather than "MIGRATION ASSISTANT".

Just installed Monterey on a 2017 MacBook and did a clean install, I swear it said "Migration Assistant" during the process but I am getting old.

Still it was encouraging to see someone else's tale of using an external drive (not TM) with Setup Assistant. I may just have to wait until I actually do this to see if it works with USB 3 (as opposed to USB C or Thunderbolt). At least I have options.

migration assistant transfer via usb 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.