Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 14 - Audio Sharing

With tvOS 14, audio sharing should be available. What Apple TV models are eligible for this feature?

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 4:13 PM

About Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD software updates - Apple Support

• Share audio: Enjoy movies and TV shows with a friend without disturbing others around you. Connect two sets of AirPods or compatible Beats products to your Apple TV 4K to share a viewing experience with separate volume controls.”

That makes this feature very specific to this model.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 4:13 PM in response to guisimoncello

About Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD software updates - Apple Support

• Share audio: Enjoy movies and TV shows with a friend without disturbing others around you. Connect two sets of AirPods or compatible Beats products to your Apple TV 4K to share a viewing experience with separate volume controls.”

That makes this feature very specific to this model.

Sep 20, 2020 8:01 AM in response to guisimoncello

I really don’t know, but you can try it and see if it’s in there. I just found the instructions.

For more information on which headphones are supported, see the Apple Support article Share audio with AirPods or Beats headphones.

1. Press and hold the Home button  on the Siri Remote to open Control Centre.
  2. Select the Audio Controls button .
  3. Swipe down to headphones, then select the headphones you want to use.
  4. If you don’t see your headphones, follow the instructions in Find and connect to a nearby bluetooth device.
  5. Select Share Audio, then follow the onscreen instructions to pair the second pair of headphones.

Oct 19, 2020 7:00 AM in response to pirpab

This is unfortunate. It's not right of Apple to do something like this unless the limitation is hardware based. I could understand if Bluetooth 5.0 or higher is required for simultaneous bluetooth output for more than one device.

However, since Apple restricts playback specifically to only Apple headphones I don't know if they're using standard bluetooth 5.0 tech or some proprietary bluetooth mesh network.

Seems kinda silly TBH. BTW, Roku Ultra streaming boxes support private listening to up to 4 headphones at once. It retails for only $99. I say ditch the Apple TV and switch to Roku. They have mobile apps for iOS devices that let you stream audio from your TV over WIFI instead of bluetooth (like Apple's AirPlay actually) and I can't decide if that's a more elegant solution than Apple's bluetooth audio sharing. I'm just not sure, but I will say Roku's solution is way cheaper. All you need are a few sets of 3.5mm EarPods and fir your friends and/or SO to have a modern smartphone (Android 6.0+ and iOS 11+ (I think)) and you're good to go.

tvOS 14 - Audio Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.