Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I am restoring phone from my backup, it says I need a password, but I'm not sure what password it's talking about, can you help me please? I need this backup, because it had all of my contacts in it, and now I can't get to it. Please help.

When I am restoring phone from my backup, it says I need a password, but I'm not sure what password it's talking about, can you help me please? I need this backup, because it had all of my contacts in it, and now I can't get to it. Please help.

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 10:06 PM

When you backed up your iPhone to a computer, you were asked to created a password to create an encrypted backup file. The encrypted backup also contains all your usernames and passwords for your apps. To protect your backup file, you were asked to input a password to that file. That is the password it is asking for.

Axel F.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 10:06 PM in response to KingImmu

When you backed up your iPhone to a computer, you were asked to created a password to create an encrypted backup file. The encrypted backup also contains all your usernames and passwords for your apps. To protect your backup file, you were asked to input a password to that file. That is the password it is asking for.

Axel F.

Sep 19, 2020 10:17 PM in response to KingImmu

You are restoring from an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup?

Generally, if it asks you the password of this iPhone, it means the password you use to unlock that device. And sometimes it will also ask you what is the previous password (2nd last) you used. When you login Your Apple ID, it will ask you to input the password of your Apple ID (yourusername@email.com). It possibly will keep asking you input your passwords several times.

If you used iTunes to backup to a mac or PC, check if you encrypted your backup with a password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.