Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant install mac os catalina in my macbook pro 2020. i have already erased the disk and didnt create a backup. what do i do?

i cant install mac os catalina in my macbook pro 2020. i have already erased the disk and didnt create a backup. what do i do?

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 11:08 PM

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

6 replies

Sep 20, 2020 12:03 AM in response to troy_1

Hey Troy_1!

Is there an error message when you try to reinstall the OS?

Also, are you reinstalling the OS from recovery mode, (As in the previous comment)? Or are you reinstalling from an external drive? (I know you said Catalina, but I know the previous OS will not install on a Mac that came stock with Catalina).

Also, can you tell how it was erased? A screen shot of Disk Utility might help too.

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2020 12:56 AM in response to DiZoE

yes i am installing from recovery mode

and yes, there‘s an error message, i sometimes get (downloading installer information to the target volume failed, or the recovery server could not be contacted)

i completly erased the hard disk in disk utility so my mac is stuck now, i can get it on since there is no OS on it anymore.

Sep 20, 2020 1:38 AM in response to troy_1

Okay I gotcha!

can you try the same while connected by Ethernet directly to your network? Or even another network?

Ive seen quite a bit that it may fail when the system is reading the date and time wrong.

On the main recovery screen, on the top menu, if you select Utilities > Terminal. In the Terminal window if you type “date” (without quotes” then press Enter.

That should show the date and time and time zone the system is reading, (Note that it might read in “UTC” time zone, if so, you can do a search to find the current UTC.

If incorrect, we can use Terminal to correct it.

Since it is a 2020, Catalina (For now will be the only OS this MAC will support)

If the time is correct, and the same happens on another network, (If possible time test, same as if using Ethernet), can you go to Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (Or whatever is beneath “Internal” Select View > Show All Devices and take a picture and upload it?

Running “First Aid” on all the internal disks and volumes may also detect and repair a file system issue that may also allow for the reinstall. In either case, let us know. Hope all goes smoothly!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.