Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone screen have a red dot in iOS 14?

After updating to IOS 14, my Iphone 8 a red dot will appear on the top right of the screen while making call. It is clearly not orange/yellow color.I had compare with my another Iphone 7, while making call a yellow/orange dot did show on the top right of the screen.

May I know what happen to my Iphone 8? Further question is I could not switch on the tracking service on my iphone that appear in the privacy.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 7:15 AM

When making and receiving phone calls, I get the RED dot in front of the battery symbol/% symbol, and since that appeared, after the iOS14 update, I can no longer hear callers unless I put it on Speaker. I have gone through every setting and found no way to remedy this. Can someone who KNOWS how to fix this RED dot issue p-l-e-a-s-e help. I don't want to put my phone on soeaker to hear calls.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 7:15 AM in response to ang194

When making and receiving phone calls, I get the RED dot in front of the battery symbol/% symbol, and since that appeared, after the iOS14 update, I can no longer hear callers unless I put it on Speaker. I have gone through every setting and found no way to remedy this. Can someone who KNOWS how to fix this RED dot issue p-l-e-a-s-e help. I don't want to put my phone on soeaker to hear calls.

Feb 14, 2021 5:30 PM in response to teddyfromansonia

teddyfromansonia wrote:

Can’t ever get a valid answer how to shut the RED dot off. Apple why don’t you tell how too? Or like another said , are you part of it. I’m saying GOODBYE to iPhoned. Your service is basically non- existent using a virus as an excuse and putting people or AI on line that know nothing. Hello Android.

It is EASY to get rid of the red dot. Never use the microphone on your phone. The red dot means the microphone is on. So just never make a phone call, never use Siri, never use the voice function of messages, Telegram, WhatsApp, Signal, Skype, or any other communications app that requires other people to hear your voice.

See how easy it is?

Nov 7, 2020 7:27 AM in response to kat-justkat

The red (actually orange) dot has nothing to do with your problem of not hearing with the built in earpiece. The dot simply means that the microphone is on, which is kind of necessary of you are having a 2 way conversation. The earpiece issue may be hardware, or perhaps the volume is too low to hear. Have you tried adjusting the volume while you are on a call? When you are not on a call the volume buttons only control the ringer and music volume.

The dot is always orange, but depending on the background color and transparency it may appear reddish.

See—>About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

Mar 26, 2021 6:41 AM in response to Stefanbk1

Stefanbk1 wrote:

Lies! I do not have apps for when I’m calling my wife or anyone else and the orange and red dot show up. How about be transparent? I will never have an iPhone again

When you call your wife you use the Phone APP. The dot means the microphone is on. If it wasn’t on your wife couldn’t hear you.

If you switch to another phone the microphone will still be on when you call your wife. But you won’t have a dot telling the the microphone is on.

Sep 26, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Hebroniphone5

What “recording device”? The dot does not meaning anything is being recorded. It only means that the microphone is on, which it will be when you are on a call or taking a picture. If it wasn’t on the person on the other end wouldn’t be able to hear you.

An indicator appears at the top of your screen whenever an app is using your microphone or camera. And in Control Center, you can see if an app has used them recently.

I agree that calling it a “recording indicator” isn’t 100% accurate and can be confusing, but all it really means is that the mic or camera is on. For a phone call if you are taking a photo this is obvious to you, but if, say, one of your 3rd party apps turned on the camera it’s something you should know about.

Sep 23, 2020 11:03 PM in response to ang194

Hi @ang194,

As part of the new IOS14 functionality, apple have released a feature call Recording Indicator.

Below is some helpful information:

Privacy is a fundamental human right and at the core of everything we do. That’s why with iOS 14, we’re giving you more control over the data you share and more transparency into how it’s used.

Recording Indicator:

An indicator appears at the top of your screen whenever an app is using your microphone or camera. And in Control Center, you can see if an app has used them recently.

You can find more information on the new functionality released under privacy at the below link:

IOS-14 - Apple

Privacy - Features - Apple

In addition to your secondary question, please find below a link to the Find My - Offical Support page that talks about finding devices and sharing locations with friends and family.

Find-My - Offical Apple Support

Hope this helps to resolve your enquiry.

Good Luck.

#IOS14

#Privacy

#RecordingIndicator

#FindMyDevice

#SharingLocations

Sep 23, 2020 10:36 PM in response to ihelpdesk

Although explanation of Abigail691 is right but it does not solve the issue that there is no orange dot appear. The only dot appear is red dot.

anyone could explain what is orange dot’ function but no one is give the answer why there is a red dot appear instead of orange. And what is the function of red dot?

Why does my iPhone screen have a red dot in iOS 14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.