Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14:My iPhone 11 Pro lost all playlist

After I upgrade my iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 14, all music playlist disappeared. The songs are still there. Any idea how to recover the playlist? Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 2:59 AM

Do you have iTunes Match? I had the same issue. If you go to the music app under the settings menu turn SYNC LIBRARY on. It will say this will delete and replace music on the phone. Agree. You won’t lose the music already on your phone. I didn’t. All my offline music and playlists came back. Hope it works for you.

You can also turn off Apple Music in this setting as well so you don’t have to see it every time you open your music app.

177 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 2:59 AM in response to Supong

Do you have iTunes Match? I had the same issue. If you go to the music app under the settings menu turn SYNC LIBRARY on. It will say this will delete and replace music on the phone. Agree. You won’t lose the music already on your phone. I didn’t. All my offline music and playlists came back. Hope it works for you.

You can also turn off Apple Music in this setting as well so you don’t have to see it every time you open your music app.

Nov 14, 2020 5:35 PM in response to jc_green

I think this is simply a bug not an intentionally mistake. Updating to later version of iOS 14.2 does not erase my playlists. It just happened when upgrading from iOS 13 to 14.0. I think the playlists were still there on iPhone. When I transferred just one playlist from mac iTune to iPhone then all the playlist came back. Probably there was something incompatible with the XML file of iOS 13 and 14.

Oct 23, 2020 7:04 AM in response to jc_green

Ok I'm on 13.7 and not iOS 14 so I don't know if this will work for you. also mac OS Mojave on my mini

On your iPhone go to settings and then scroll down to the music button/tab

hit that and in there you should find a sync button, turn off sync .

Then connect to iTunes and click on your phone icon to getting the summary

Hit the sync button and you should get your playlist back

good luck!

Oct 31, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Alxpress

No, it is not figured out. Apple took our playlists. Music is still there, it’s not about the music it’s the playlists and they are gone unless you subscribe to one of their services. Apple *****, full stop. Sync as mentioned by many is not an option unless you are subscribed.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Sep 22, 2020 11:21 AM in response to Supong

I just had the same happen to me. Brief description:

09/20 - updated to iOS14, did not check Music app

09/21 - added Apple Watch series 6, began adding playlists to the watch that night thru the Apple Watch app and it said it was downloading

09/22 - started listening to a playlist on my Apple Watch away from my iPhone or WiFi. It stopped playing and when I checked the watch, it said it had no downloaded music to play. I checked my iPhone and it no longer has any playlists, tho it still has all downloaded music.

Sep 24, 2020 5:43 PM in response to mrdrcm

I do subscribe to iTunes Match (it actually just renewed a few days ago). Updated to iOS 14 yesterday.

Today I see my playlists are gone in the music app on my phone and my iPad Pro where I updated the OS.

I see this thread / answer and go to the Music section of the Settings App. It says I have 20gb of music on my phone... (My music appeared in the music app, just not my playlists.)

I follow this answer and turn on "Sync".... it did NOT keep the music I had downloaded. There's now just 600mb or so of music left after the sync. It appears that it now has just what's downloaded in iTunes on my Mac. If this means that *downloads* will sync between devices, that is not what I want. I don't want to store 20gb of music on my laptop or for all my iOS devices to necessarily download everything.

Yes, my playlists are back on my phone. But it did *not* keep the music on my phone that was already downloaded-- I will have to download that again, and now check to see if this causes other devices to download the same music.

I do not know why they would choose to nuke playlists like this, or if it was entirely an unintended bug or glitch.

Sep 30, 2020 7:36 AM in response to Supong

Same issue, I have a iPhone X and lost playlists that took weeks to create. Apple really created problems here. I spent hours with Apple Advanced help to no avail, just said they were sending the issue to "Engineers". Worst thing I did was listen to the Apple tech help who told me to sync music when I received the message that it would remove music from my phone and update with iTunes. Previous to that I could at least see my playlists on my iTunes on my PC, after - everything was wiped out - All Playlists gone, along with music I ripped from CD years ago. Only iTune purchases remain.

iOS 14:My iPhone 11 Pro lost all playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.