Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Air

How do I transfer data from my old Mac to my new Mac?

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 3:13 PM in response to shelleyfromcatskills

K Shaffer pointed me to this tread.

Target Disk Mode...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-computers-target-disk-mode-mchlp1443/10.13/mac/10.13

Depends how old the old MBA is, not the new one will have TB3 port...

Use a Thunderbolt3 cable to connect your new MBA to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port on the other Mac. If the other Mac uses Thunderbolt 1or2, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with your cable.

Sep 20, 2020 4:56 PM in response to shelleyfromcatskills

PS: files & images may be transferred by wi-fi between Macs by AirDrop.

Could take time, slower than direct by-wire. OK when you become familiar.

Articles covers several aspects; 'AirDrop' is part of 'Continuity' features.

• Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

• How to AirDrop Files And Photos From Mac to Mac | techabout

https://www.techbout.com/airdrop-files-photos-from-mac-to-mac-29482/

"The steps to AirDrop Files from Mac to Mac are quite

similar to Airdropping Photos, from Mac to Mac."

To have backups and means to utilize those & also use Time Machine

incremental backup on separate external drives (dedicated hardware)

is good to invest in proper tech.

Batteries for your MacBook Air are available online at OWC. Install video

are viewable and free; battery kits often include tools. See items page..

For examples. (is your MacBook/Air an 11-inch or 13-inch? Identify it.

Install Videos [for following battery] example - only

60 Watt-Hour Battery Replacement Solution For all 13-inch MacBook Air 2010 - 2017 models

Thought offer a few other details.

Take care & happy trails!🌻🐝

Sep 20, 2020 5:25 AM in response to snowleapard2020

Good morning and thank you for responding. I do not use a hard drive, just back up on to flash drive. Here is an issue I have that perhaps you can answer - about a year or so ago, we picked up what I think is an attempt to install a virus - about once a day, a small box will appear in the middle of the screen that says, "Apple wants to make changes" and prompts me to enter my password. I am savvy enough to know that Apple would not do that and of course we never enter our password. So I assume that if I just transfer all my data, then I will also transfer this "virus" issue. Our current MacBook Air is working fine, except that the battery doesn't hold the power very well (2013 model), which I why I will get a new MacBook Air, so I can continue to use the old Mac while I start using the new Mac and let the data accumulate. What are your thoughts on this?

Sep 20, 2020 8:22 AM in response to K Shaffer

Good morning and thank you for responding. Here is an issue I have that perhaps you can answer - about a year or so ago, we picked up what I think is an attempt to install a virus - about once a day, a small box will appear in the middle of the screen that says, "Apple wants to make changes" and prompts me to enter my password. I am savvy enough to know that Apple would not do that and of course we never enter our password. So I assume that if I just transfer all my data, then I will also transfer this "virus" issue. Our current Macbook Air is working fine, except that the battery doesn't hold the power very well (2013 model) which is why I will get a new MacBook Air. Also I can use the old Mac while I organize the new one. I printed out the link info you sent me about doing a clean installation, which sounds like the way to go for me. Do you know type of cable I will need to connect the 2 machines ? Or perhaps I can copy one file at a time that I want to transfer on to a flash drive and then transfer it to the new machine. Anyway thanks again for your help.

New MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.