Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

outlook mail server issues

I keep getting this message from my mail app. I am a total novice and have no clue how to fix this. pressing "OK" will just get you the same message with another throttling backoff time.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 5:10 PM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Disconnect from the internet & see if Mail will open.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 5:10 PM in response to StanDartease

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Disconnect from the internet & see if Mail will open.

Sep 20, 2020 3:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Apologies, Problem is I just don't know what I'm doing.

I access the outlook mail server through an app on my S9 phone.

I have an old Hotmail email address though they are the same thing now.

I logged into the server on my macbook with the same log in details and reset the default emails shown in the settings in the app on my phone to show all emails.

I think this has caused the problem.

I've changed the settings to my account via the phone email app to only sync emails for a few weeks and its now done that but the macbook still shows the same errors.

Can I start again with the log in process for the mail app on the macbook now?

Sep 20, 2020 3:50 PM in response to BDAqua

I don't know how to do that. I tried downloading new apps

the outlook one tried to get me to sign upto Microsoft 365 for £59 per year.

Edison email was free and Let me log into my hotmail.com emails so I think I've got access on the laptop now at least.

I can't delete the default email app and reinstall though I think? thats the postage stamp icon.

outlook mail server issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.