Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating to a new Macbook Pro

I currently have the dreaded Search Baron and Bing search engine viruses on my Macbook Air which I've not been able to remove!!

I've just bought a new Macbook Pro and want to know the safest way for me to transfer from one to the other without this virus finding it's way onto the new Macbook?!

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 11:13 AM

First, remove the malware from your computer.

Fixes for Adware and Pop-ups

1. Malwarebytes
  2. Remove adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
  3. Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari - Apple Support

Fixing Safari from Popups 

[The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.]

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phoney message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also, understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + ESC, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening. 

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious web page, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 11:13 AM in response to jimbo 27

First, remove the malware from your computer.

Fixes for Adware and Pop-ups

1. Malwarebytes
  2. Remove adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
  3. Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari - Apple Support

Fixing Safari from Popups 

[The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.]

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phoney message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also, understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + ESC, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening. 

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious web page, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

Sep 20, 2020 11:22 AM in response to Kappy

I'm mostly using Google Chrome and thats what has the issue, not safari.

Safari actually seems to be ok but given the fact I've been using Google Chrome for so long and I've so many bookmarks etc on there, I'm trying to find the correct way to erase the issue from there.

I've tried the usual way by going into preferences etc and also had a friend who's way more IT savvy than me try, and he's struggled also.

Having looked online it appears that I'd have to wipe the hard drive and start again but was hoping that having the new Macbook would avoid having to do this until I'd transferred across?

Sep 20, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Kappy

Getting all sorts of conflicting advise when looking on google.

Will try a few more options but hopefully someone will see this post who has some very current advise as it sounds like they find ways to make it harder to remove whenever it gets public how to remove 'Search Baron' and/or 'Bing'.....worst thing I've ever had on a computer!!

Doesn't stop you searching online but brings up bad options and has slowed things down and just want to fire up the new machine and get my files etc across without having to go to the extremes!

Thanks anyway

Sep 20, 2020 12:37 PM in response to jimbo 27

Your problem has appeared here countless times. Rather than waiting for someone, why don't you search the forums to find out what, if anything, has already worked for others?

Of course, if you don't want to devout too much time to the issue, then an erase and install may very well be the quickest solution instead of searching hours for another answer.

An erase and Install will take 40 minutes to an hour. When you get to restoring your files stick to just your data. This is the best way to avoid re-introducing the problem. Start everything from "New", and this especially includes Safari or Chrome. The malware only gets onto your computer as the result of clicking on the wrong kind of links. Be more careful going forward.

Sep 20, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Kappy

So I downloaded the malwarebytes but this didn't solve it but I'm sure has helped with some other stuff on here!

When trying to change the default browser from either Marquis or Search Baron to Google it wouldn't allow that option.

One of the other options under the other search engines was google.fr as I'm based in France.

Made that the default and so far Search Baron, Bing or Marquis hasn't popped up so fingers crossed all ok now!

Hopefully now safe to migrate to the new Macbook but I guess if it comes up again I'll follow your advise above.

Thanks again

Migrating to a new Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.