Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checking for malware

I am about to transfer data from an old MacBook Pro to a new one. How can I be sure that I am not transferring virus/malware?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:11 PM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2021 4:22 PM in response to readytomoveon

readytomoveon Said:

"Checking for malware: I am about to transfer data from an old MacBook Pro to a new one. How can I be sure that I am not transferring virus/malware?"

-------

Scanning your Mac: 

Malware is the concern here. Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Sep 16, 2021 5:08 PM in response to readytomoveon

readytomoveon Said:

"Checking for malware: Thank you for this information. I have downloaded and run Malwarebytes and it detected (and quarantined) one threat called 'adware.Mindspark'. With that done, is it now safe to transfer my data? Thanks again for your help!"

-------

Not Yet...

Having removed it, restart your Mac first, then all should be safe. Next, proceed with this migration.

Checking for malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.