Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages and FaceTime not connected with phone number

I had trouble when texting my friend (they have an iPhone as well) and for some reason it was sending the green bubbles instead of blue. Its odd because they received my messages in text message but not in iMessage. I did the simple trouble shooting techniques provided by apple and nothing. Unfortunately, when I did one of the troubleshooting techniques by apple, the one where you turn off iMessage and facetime, it doesn't let me connect back to my phone number. My number is being displayed on the to and reply from but won't let me select my number at all. The same issue with FaceTime. Also says "Activation unsuccessful. Turn on iMessage to try again" when its still on. Also doesn't even show up on my MacBook, like my account is signed in with messages and FaceTime app on my computer but doesn't show my phone number in the preferences on the apps. Since this issue, my Find My app isn't working as well. It shows my devices but I can't see my friends and families locations, instead says "No Location Found" and I know their location is on because my mom showed me that hers was on and i still couldn't see it. I blocked out my apple id and phone number in the picture but as you can see my number isn't checked and it won't let me even click on it. Please help! Ive done all the troubleshooting myself and nothing, Ive reset and erased my phone like new and nothing. All apple says is to wait 24 hours.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 1:47 PM

Have you added the phone number to your Apple ID?

Messages - If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.    

Messages Troubleshooting.   

Some other things you can try. Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 1:47 PM in response to murikarla

Have you added the phone number to your Apple ID?

Messages - If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.    

Messages Troubleshooting.   

Some other things you can try. Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

messages and FaceTime not connected with phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.