Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods constantly disconnect on iOS 14

with 14, my airpods (original) keep disconnecting. settings will say its still connected, but all audio comes from the phone not the airpods. it happens everytime i use siri, and every time i have them in my ears without listening to anything for a few

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 12:08 PM

Hello Serialkelly,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing issues with the audio unexpectedly switching from your AirPods to your iPhone speakers.

If you haven't done so yet, try updating your iPhone to iOS 14.0.1. Be sure to create a backup before updating.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue continues after the update, you'll want to try to Reset your AirPods.

Best wishes.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Serialkelly

Hello Serialkelly,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing issues with the audio unexpectedly switching from your AirPods to your iPhone speakers.

If you haven't done so yet, try updating your iPhone to iOS 14.0.1. Be sure to create a backup before updating.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue continues after the update, you'll want to try to Reset your AirPods.

Best wishes.

Oct 28, 2020 4:44 PM in response to Serialkelly

im getting same issue with AirPods first gen

I have to remove the device and reconnect to make it work for short while. Remove reconnect. This is a big issue and everything worked just fine before updating from iOS 13.x to iOS 14.1 irritating to remove Bluetooth device and reconnect when needed. It’s nothing wrong with your AirPods or none of you the fault is from apple and they need to fix this ASAP

Oct 30, 2020 6:35 PM in response to Serialkelly

I am also having similar issues on iOS 14.1.

After a little bit of listening to something, my airpods will disconnect making a sound like it went out of range of the iphone. I have to then put them back in the case or go to settings to get them to connect again. I'm assuming this is a software bug with the new software since I didn't see this issue before updating.

Is Apple aware of this issue?

Dec 21, 2020 6:03 PM in response to Serialkelly

I just received my new iPhone 12 mini, and brand new Airpods Pro... Paired them today, and used on several calls: The airpods constantly disconnect in the middle of calls... and i cannot switch back to iPhone or speakers, because as soon as they disconnect, the airpods go right back into auto-connect, which then works...this process creates 20-30 second breaks where i cannot speak or hear the caller, and this happens every minute or so... In short, my $250 headphones are unusable... i am oniOS 14.3, and this iPhone 12 mini is 2 days old ...any new sugestions?

Feb 4, 2021 11:18 AM in response to Serialkelly

iPhone XR, iOS 14.1 I've reset my AirPods multiple types - hard reset where you have to update the name of the AirPods when they connect again. They still disconnect at random times and is becoming aggravating. Not to mention it is pretty embarrassing when I'm on the phone with a client. For me, this is kind of a big deal. I like the new over ear phones Apple put out. But if this kind of issue is prevalent and not being resolved by Apple, I'd hesitate to invest $550 with that kind of unreliability. The premium I pay is for everything to work as advertised - all the time - every day. IMHO, that's what sets Apple apart from the rest. Please fix this.

Feb 20, 2021 6:01 AM in response to bdubya2008

Experiencing the same connection problems here with my new Airpods Pro. I tried a lot of different "fixes" I found here and online and none worked. I give up. I'm returning them for a refund. For the very expensive price I pay for the Airpods Pro I expect all of these problems to be resolved BEFORE the Airpods Pro get to me. or before later software updates are released. I don't think that's too much to ask from a trillion dollar company.

Mar 5, 2021 7:07 PM in response to LunaSkittles

Dude, they didn't just "miss" this defect...totally feels like they could care less. Doubt this was the first time but the OP brought it to their attention in September 2020. We're going on 7 months with no fix. Every iPhone+Airpod user affected should have been directly refunded their entire purchase PLUS allotted $XX towards any Apple purchase AND a worry-free replacement guarantee once solved.

AirPods constantly disconnect on iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.