Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What record categories will iPhone's native NFC read?

I have an iPhone X with iOS14, and I have two NFC questions.

1) Using the NFC reader in the Control Center, the only tags I can get it to read are URLs. Using an app like NXP TagWriter, I can read any type of tag. Does anyone know why?

2) Is there a way to get it to launch an app?

Thanks so much for your answers and comments.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 8:03 AM

I did find this -

App Clips

• An App Clip is a small part of an app that developers can create and that is discoverable at the moment you need it, and focused on a specific task
  • Small by design, App Clips are usable in a few seconds
  • Discover App Clips through tapping NFC tags or scanning QR codes, from Messages, Maps, and Safari
  • Recently used App Clips show up in App Library’s Recently Added category, and you can download the full version of the app if you want to keep it around

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 8:03 AM in response to deebeeeff

I did find this -

App Clips

• An App Clip is a small part of an app that developers can create and that is discoverable at the moment you need it, and focused on a specific task
  • Small by design, App Clips are usable in a few seconds
  • Discover App Clips through tapping NFC tags or scanning QR codes, from Messages, Maps, and Safari
  • Recently used App Clips show up in App Library’s Recently Added category, and you can download the full version of the app if you want to keep it around

What record categories will iPhone's native NFC read?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.