Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay connection from Mac to Apple TV fails at last step

Hello

I am experiencing a weird problem with Airplay. I am trying to Airplay my MacBookPro (mid2012 13 inch running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6) to an Apple TV and the process fails at the last step.

On the Mac, the AppleTV appears as an option in the Airplay Menu and in the Monitor systems preferences. The same problem happens when I try to use any of this option to connect.

When I select Apple TV in the Mac's menu, the TV wakes up and shows me a 4 digit code number that I have to type on my Mac. On the laptop's screen, I do get the dialog box where to type the 4 digits.

After typing the 4 digits on the Mac, I get another dialog box on the Mac's screen with states "Connexion to the AppleTV impossible".

I did reboot the Mac and the Apple TV, I checked the network settings and the firewall settings on the Mac. The only difference with all the recommendations that I have read is that my AppleTV is connected to a WifiRouter through an Ethernet cable, but not directly to the Wifi. But anyway, it is clear that the Mac and the Apple TV can communicate.

I did try to deactivate the Firewall, but it did not help.

I did try to connect the Mac to the same router as the Apple through Ethernet but it did not help.

I do have another MacBook, a 2015 15 inch Retina running nearly the same configuration with Mac OS 10.14.16 and it works !

We have two iPads an one iPhone at home and Airplay works with the same network configuration.

I have not used this specific MacBook with the AppleTV for a long time, but I remember it did work. It may have been before a recent system software upgrade.

What a weird problem, isn't it ?

Thank you for any help.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 8:53 PM

Not sure how your local network is configured. Why not put the Apple TV on the same WiFi network as the computer you are trying to get to work? Even if that's not the way you want it long term, it might tell you something.

Also -- check your date/time settings on the computer, make sure the time zone is correct and on automatically set based on current location.

One more thing to try -- create a new user and see if that user has the same problem.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 8:53 PM in response to Pierre from Versailles

Not sure how your local network is configured. Why not put the Apple TV on the same WiFi network as the computer you are trying to get to work? Even if that's not the way you want it long term, it might tell you something.

Also -- check your date/time settings on the computer, make sure the time zone is correct and on automatically set based on current location.

One more thing to try -- create a new user and see if that user has the same problem.

Sep 28, 2020 8:20 PM in response to Pierre from Versailles

A long shot, but something to check in order to rule it out ...

Make sure your Firewall isn’t blocking AirPlay:

• Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall.
    • Click the padlock and enter your administrator password to make changes.
    • Open the Firewall Options and make sure Block all incoming connections isn’t turned on.
    • Check the box to Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections.

You might try doing this when logged in from the account that is not working, I think you can still go to the Firewall and authenticate to get access to those options.

Sep 28, 2020 3:45 AM in response to steve626

Hello again.

I've tried your multiple suggestions and one worked : I can Airplay to the Apple TV from the SystemAdmin account, on the same MacBookPro 13. I normally use a non sysadmin account.

Still, it's puzzling : with my wife's MacBookRetina 15, which has the same OS and software configuration, Airplay works from a non admin account.

I must find out what is specific to my regular user account that might block Airplay. Note that the computer can establish a dialog with the Apple TV; the process fails after I input the 4 digit code to connect the Apple TV to the MacBook.

Thanks again for the hint to connect from another account.

Best regards

Sep 28, 2020 11:57 PM in response to steve626

Thank you for answering.

I had already checked the firewall options and I checked them again. They are in line with your suggestion.

Anyway, as far as I understand, firewall settings apply to all accounts on the Mac. Therefore, a firewall option would have had an impact on the Systemadmin account on the same MacBook with is capable of Airplay to the Apple TV. That's what puzzles me the most : I am facing the problem only with one of the 3 users accounts that I have on this MacBook !

Best regards

Pierre

Airplay connection from Mac to Apple TV fails at last step

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.