Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone Tethering Not Working After iOS 14 Update

I’ve been using DD WRT firmware on my linksys router to tether my iPhone for internet connection and has been working fine until iOS 14 update. Hotspot still works fine for wireless connection but no longer feeds the router network connectivity. Tried resetting router and reinstalling the firmware and reconfiguring. Everything proceeds as normal but router is not live.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:17 PM

I have the same problem and went through all the same steps as you to no avail. I live in a rual area and rely on my hotspot for internet. I have it tethered to a Netgear router running DD-wrt. I do this so I can connect more than five clients and have better wifi range. IOS 14 update broke that setup. I wish I never upgraded. I'm pretty sure apple is not going to do anything to address this. There not going to support anything other than PC or MAC usb tether problems I'm sure. Thinking about downgrading back to ios 13 but its a hassle.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 4:17 PM in response to aleah37

I have the same problem and went through all the same steps as you to no avail. I live in a rual area and rely on my hotspot for internet. I have it tethered to a Netgear router running DD-wrt. I do this so I can connect more than five clients and have better wifi range. IOS 14 update broke that setup. I wish I never upgraded. I'm pretty sure apple is not going to do anything to address this. There not going to support anything other than PC or MAC usb tether problems I'm sure. Thinking about downgrading back to ios 13 but its a hassle.

Sep 30, 2020 8:27 AM in response to Realsville

Since I can no longer tether my iphone to my travel router, I tried tethering it to my Dell Laptop. I then turned on

The Windows "mobile hotspot" and got the same result..other laptops can connect but no internet.

I am also led to understand that Samsung adroid phones do not have this problem.

This appears to be an Apple problem. What bothers me somewhat is that Apple has made it almost impossible to roll back to IOS 13..***?

Oct 1, 2020 8:18 AM in response to aleah37

i see the same issue using Synology RT 2600ac, tested the phone before updating it worked perfect, after update i see a connection of the router to the phone (got an ip from the phone, and showing mobile network signal strength) but the router itself says limited Internet connection. All testet at the same place wher i have LTE mobile connection.

Oct 5, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Hector Miranda

I just got off the phone with Apple support. I had to get escalated up and up and up. They said this has happened before with IOS upgrades and they aren't going to do anything about it. It's up to the router manufacturers to upgrade their firmware and that often takes a month or two, according to Apple. So, my choices are to wait and use hotspot in the meantime, or get a Samsung phone (those are apparently not affected) and I need a new phone anyway.

Oct 9, 2020 12:34 AM in response to aleah37

I think, this is Linux kernel or firmware issue. I am using Elementary and MX Linux, which are Debian and Ubuntu distros, and I have the same issue. Tethering via USB not working, hostspot work fine. Yesterday I notice, that MX Linux using network driver for "Iphone 4/5/5s/6". Now I have iphone 7 with IOS14 upgrade. So, we must wait, for linux firmware upgrade.

regards

Oct 17, 2020 12:04 PM in response to aleah37

The most likely reason this doesn't work anymore is that Apple probably had complaints from carriers about abusers of the unlimited plans using tethering to feed routed networks. The carriers (eg Verizon) can control your HotSpot option on your iPhone but Tethering or Bluetooth PAN was not a feature they could control by carrier settings...

Now you apparently cannot get a cabled or PAN Internet connection out of iPhone running IOS 14 or above.

Oct 24, 2020 4:45 AM in response to aleah37

Having same issue with GL-iNet router running OpenWRT. I use this to work from our holiday home in the Highlands and have been doing this for several years. Local LAN connectivity is fine, as is DNS but no internet connectivity via USB tethering. Having to use my backup Samsung A6 instead. Been an iPhone user since the 3 but unless this is sorted this will have to be my last 🙁 Lost almost an entire day figuring out it was the phone that was my issue!

Nov 2, 2020 2:02 AM in response to aleah37

Update... on ubuntu detects the ethernet usb adapter, dhcp works but no route to internet, on windows it doesen't detect the ethernet adapter but after installing itunes it appears in device manager. The internet woks on windows with iphone tethering on usb ios 14.1 but there's one catch, if you close itunes the adapter disconnects and dissapears from device manager. Haven't tested on macos an no itunes on ubuntu.

conclusion... still works on usb but with a big but just with itunes

Nov 13, 2020 8:35 PM in response to aleah37

I have contacted Tech Support.

I use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and also have used 18.04 LTS tethering to the pre-14.2 OS with no issue.

Checking on my system, it clearly is NOT getting a route for the path... I see an IP address assignment, Netmask, and Broadcast address, but no gateway address.

My windows desktop appears to be working w/o issue, using my iPhone X w/ 14.2.

I wonder if these guys test their setups...if they did, they would've easily found this issue.

STILL waiting for an update from these guys...should charge them my $175/hr fee for troubleshooting this crap.

IPhone Tethering Not Working After iOS 14 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.