Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch

I’m confused on if I need to purchase connectivity for my Apple Watch? I thought I could just buy the watch then connect it to my phone and text and make calls from the watch as long as it is close to my phone.

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:45 PM

You can get a GPS only Apple Watch. It will pair to your iPhone 6s, SE (1 or 2), 7, or newer running iOS 14.

The GPS only can do everything the cellular model can do as long as your iPhone is nearby (say in the same house as you).

The cellular models can leave the iPhone behind and still make phone calls, message, stream music (Apple Music or Pandora), etc...

The cellular model can be used like the GPS only if you do not want a cellular contract. If you want the cellular features, _AND_ your iPhone carrier supports the Apple Watch, then you can pay a monthly fee to share your iPhone's phone number. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to your iPhone bill.

NOTE: the GPS only model can leave the iPhone at home and still track your exercise, and play music stored on the Apple Watch. When you get back to your iPhone, the exercise data will be synced to the iPhone. But the GPS only model will not be able communicate without the iPhone nearby. Except if it is on you home WiFi, then it can use WiFi.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 6:45 PM in response to Ad1333

You can get a GPS only Apple Watch. It will pair to your iPhone 6s, SE (1 or 2), 7, or newer running iOS 14.

The GPS only can do everything the cellular model can do as long as your iPhone is nearby (say in the same house as you).

The cellular models can leave the iPhone behind and still make phone calls, message, stream music (Apple Music or Pandora), etc...

The cellular model can be used like the GPS only if you do not want a cellular contract. If you want the cellular features, _AND_ your iPhone carrier supports the Apple Watch, then you can pay a monthly fee to share your iPhone's phone number. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to your iPhone bill.

NOTE: the GPS only model can leave the iPhone at home and still track your exercise, and play music stored on the Apple Watch. When you get back to your iPhone, the exercise data will be synced to the iPhone. But the GPS only model will not be able communicate without the iPhone nearby. Except if it is on you home WiFi, then it can use WiFi.

Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.