Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 6 not bright enough in dark environments. (Same issue as Apple Watch 5)

So I just picked up the new Apple Watch 6 (Silver Stainless 44mm) and as excited as I was, that changed pretty quickly when I realized it has the same annoying screen brightness (or rather *dim*ness) issue that made me return the 5 and stick with my 4.

In dark environments the ambient light sensor is too aggressive and makes the screen too dim to the point it can be difficult to read. In a side-by-side with the 4 it is *noticeably* dimmer! The 4 is perfect but for the 5/6, this is problematic for people such as me who wear glasses need that extra brightness to be able to read it.

This is most problematic if you're outside in the dusk, or in a dark environment like watching TV with the lights off or sitting in a movie theater because it ramps down too low.

The screen is more than capable of the brightness too because again, just like with the 5, in daylight, it really is bright. You can see this yourself! Just shine your iPhone's flashlight at your watch face and you'll see it turn practically blinding.

This was clearly a choice by Apple to implement because again, the hardware can easily handle it, and considering they never addressed it last round, I'm not optimistic this is even on their radar to address.

Also, since I've been asked this a few times, yes, the brightness in settings is turned all the way up, and yes, I am comparing the 'active' brighness (i.e. you're tapping on and interacting with the screen), not the 'always-on' brightness which is more of a 'stand-by' mode.

I even tried disabling the 'always on' screen to make it mimic the 4 exactly. Same result. The 4 is brighter. The 5 and 6 are too dim!!

I know why they did this... to eeek out as much battery life as possible. But that's just it... let *me* decide if I want to sacrifice battery life for brightness. I have never ran out of battery and usually end the day with around ~40% so I would happily give some of that up for more brightness because without it, I can't *read* half the text, even with my glasses on!

If it wasn't for the pulse-oximeter in it, this may have been sent right back just like the 5. I'm gonna give it a few days and see how annoyed I am with it before I decide.

Come on Apple... you're always so great around accessibility. A market leader actually. But twice now you've dropped the ball here! Please give us a version of the firmware where we can change the responsiveness of the auto-dimming to not be so aggressive! I want to love your products. #TakeMyMoneyNow! But give me light in return.

Here's the entire discussion about the same thing with Apple Watch 5.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250654320

Anyone else seeing this too? Again, against a 5 it's identical. Against a 4 it's blatantly obvious. It's not a subtle difference.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:10 PM

148 replies

Oct 28, 2020 6:10 PM in response to MarqueIV

I just got my Series 6, 44m Blue Aluminum, and found the exact same thing.

i wore it side by side with my stainless steel series 4, and thought it was due to a difference between the two

however I spoke with an Apple support rep as well as searched the web and found no such claim that aluminum models have lower brightness. Then I came across this thread and to my surprise, many others have experienced the same.

i will be returning my series 6 as well, as despite being max brightness, this is not good enough for me either.

thank you for creating this thread OP and thank you to everyone else who replied because this seems to be inherent to the Always on screen design having some sort of battery management or ambient controller that simply doesn’t have the best brightness in all settings

this is regular ambience at max brightness. And YES the series 6 (on the right) has been “raised to wake”

this is both after being directly shined under a lamp

both have max brightness enabled. The sad part is the top photo, the series 6 has been risen to wake.

here are both off

and here are both awake. Note the second hand is showing in the second pic so you know it’s raised to wake.

one last comparison between a brighter face

it’s very obvious in person, more so than pics

(taken on iPhone 12 Pro)

Sep 23, 2020 7:21 PM in response to MarqueIV

Yes! I just got my 6 today and thought I was going blind! It is WAY too dim at night especially if I’m working on my “brighter” iPad or iphone and glance over at my watch. I can barely see it! At first I thought I was imagining things until I tried your flashlight trick. Yep, it perked up quite nicely. And yes I have it set to full bright and “always on” turned off. Apple - please fix this! Let us decide how bright we need it. I’d gladly give up a little battery life to set it myself - the same voluntary sacrifice I make with my iPad, Mac and iPhone!

Sep 24, 2020 9:16 PM in response to MarqueIV

I have this same issue! Just today I purchased my series 6 watch (upgrade from series 4) and the whole day, I could not stop noticing how dim the screen is. Really bothersome and I hope in a future watchOS update, the brightness will be brighter. I have no problem having to charge the watch more often to be honest. the dull screen brightness really feels like a downgrade as opposed to an upgrade :(

Oct 25, 2020 11:10 PM in response to MarqueIV

All, please submit this to the following link.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Also, you are limited to 800 characters. Here's what I posted. Feel free to copy/paste it.

____

I'm reporting the ambient light sensor ramping down the display's brightness too much in low-light situations. This is a problem that existed with the Series 5 appears to still exist in the Series 6.

Specifically, in dark environments the ambient light sensor is too aggressive and makes the screen too dim to the point it can be difficult to read. In a side-by-side with the Series 4 it is *noticeably* dimmer! The 4 is pretty much perfect but for the 5/6, this is problematic for people such as me who wear glasses need a little extra brightness to be able to read it.

I even tried disabling the 'always on' screen to make it mimic the 4 exactly. Same result. The 4 is brighter. The 5 and 6 are too dim!!

Also, since I've been asked this a few times, yes, the brightness in settings is turne

Oct 28, 2020 2:44 AM in response to MarqueIV

As a developer myself, I think the easiest solution for Apple can be a simple minimum brightness setting. That way Apple doesn't have to touch the ambient light sensor code or worry about its sensitivity curves, etc. That can stay the way it is, but just never go below a level we set.

If you think a minimum-brightness would be a good solution, please submit that as a defect or e a feature request at the following link...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Jan 11, 2021 2:48 PM in response to iAwwad

After chasing Apple customer service I have a reply, No shock that it’s a Standard Answer with no real assistance.

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Subject: Re: Acknowledgement of your email/submission -

Information about your order 

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Online Store.

Please note the Online Store is primarily a sales and customer service based department with a scope of support for the sales and after-sales support of orders placed directly on the Apple Website and would therefore not be best equipped to assist you with your issue.

For further assistance, I would advise contacting AppleCare who will be happy to assist you directly or schedule a Genius Bar appointment in your nearest Apple Retail Store.

There are two options for contacting AppleCare: 

1. By telephone.

2. Visit the Apple Support website: https://support.apple.com/en-gb or use the Apple Support App from your iOS device for Telephone, Chat and Service options available to you.

A genius Bar appointment can be scheduled here: https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

I hope that my email has been of assistance to you. 

Kind Regards,

Ray

Apple Store

Apple Distribution International

Help Pages

store.apple.com/ie/help

Online Self Service

store.apple.com/ie/orderstatus

Help Pages”

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 4, 2020 12:48 PM in response to MarqueIV

Me Too!!! Today I Went from Series 3 to SE mostly to get a bigger and brighter screen. I thought it was me who saw a dimmer screen. Then asked a friend which was brighter and they pointed to the series 3!

THE FIX (sort of): turn off Wake to Crown Up on Wake Screen settings and to me it seems to brighten up a bit faster if you do another function after waking the screen. (I think the system is otherwise “waiting for you” to scroll up on the crown before it gets brighter. This way, I’m assuming, it just goes to the max brightness without waiting for a crown scroll... it’s just a theory guys, I could be wrong 😑)

OR

Like the original post says, Flash your iPhone flashlight on it and it gets brighter immediately.

Hoping apple fixes the software because I’m in love with my new larger sized watch 😊

Before flashlight flash or the Default “max” brightness:

After flashlight flash:

Apple Watch Series 6 not bright enough in dark environments. (Same issue as Apple Watch 5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.