Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden drop in battery health

After updating IOS 14, sudden drop in battery health 100% to 98% within 2days becomes 96%. Iam using Iphone XR bought 2months before. Kindly help me to solve this issue.

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 8:08 PM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2020 7:36 PM in response to dhasandevaraj

Hello dhasandevaraj, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We can see from your message and screenshots that you've noticed the maximum capacity of your iPhone XR battery has decreased.

You'll want to take a look at this information under, "Your battery's maximum capacity," from the iPhone Battery and Performance article:

"Maximum battery capacity measures the device battery capacity relative to when it was new. A battery will have lower capacity as the battery chemically ages which may result in fewer hours of usage between charges. Depending upon the length of time between when the iPhone was made and when it is activated, your battery capacity may show as slightly less than 100%."

This explains why you're seeing a lower maximum capacity from your iPhone XR battery. The iPhone XR was released almost two years ago, so there is a longer length of time between when your iPhone was made and activated. The article goes on to state:

"A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions." To see the maximum capacity at 96% is not a concerning fact by itself, as it's part of the aging process.

Enjoy the day.

Sep 28, 2020 7:16 AM in response to Robert Cooper1

All iPhone devices lost battery health from the very first iPhone. In fact every rechargeable battery you have from headphones to Bluetooth speakers to game controllers lose battery health over time. Therefore you can't say Steve Jobs would definitely call this BS. It's just a matter of fact with rechargeable batteries. You never need to be concerned about battery health unless it falls below 80%. My wife has been using her iPhone 11 for almost 10 months now and it claims to be at 100% still but I know that it's inaccurate. If she were to update to iOS 14 (she hates upgrades so hasn't yet) then I know it would probably drop to 95% or less. This wouldn't be a problem with iOS 14, it probably got stuck in reporting correctly and then iOS 14 would "unstuck" it. I look at my battery health maybe once every 5-6 months. Too many people are too concerned with it and check it weekly or more.

Sudden drop in battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.