Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing infrared light from both iPhones

Recently had a creepy experience. Installed our Petcube pet camera in our new house snd the first night, it caught motion. It was my daughter and her boyfriend, watching tvs on the couch, NOT looking at their phones, and they were both flashing every few seconds as if it was taking pictures. These flashes were not visible to their naked eye. We presume they are infrared flashes but what the heck is that?

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 6:59 AM

oh boy how do i go about explaining this, so basically, i presume it is an iPhone with FaceID, the iPhone's with face ID (iphone 11, iphone x, etc) use infrared dots (from a dot projector) to put the dots on your face (when you try and use faceID), then an infrared camera in the phone looks at these dots on your face to determine the depth and well, ok basically bla bla bla the phone's with faceID use an infrared system to determine your facial features and the depth of your nose, your eyes, etc, and what you are seeing is the infrared dot projector projecting infrared light onto someone's face (or well, trying to, it fires no matter if it sees a face or not), you can also see this effect if you point the remote at the camera, or even (since the iphone's front facing camera doesn't have an ir filter) point something like a remote into the front facing camera of an iphone and you'll see the infrared light (also tbh you can probably see the infrared light using the front facing iphone camera technique to see the dot projector with another iPhone as well) (god i hope this all makes sense, i'm sorry about my grammar btw, i know its really bad in here, i honestly have no defense for it, i just don't feel like going through and fixing it, but i will read this over myself and make sure you can at least understand it) if you want a more detailed explanation as to what this system is and stuff, if you go back to when they announced the iPhone X at the keynote of whatever year it was released, i believe they went into detail about FaceID in there, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and i or someone else would be more than happy to help further

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 6:59 AM in response to blscottz

oh boy how do i go about explaining this, so basically, i presume it is an iPhone with FaceID, the iPhone's with face ID (iphone 11, iphone x, etc) use infrared dots (from a dot projector) to put the dots on your face (when you try and use faceID), then an infrared camera in the phone looks at these dots on your face to determine the depth and well, ok basically bla bla bla the phone's with faceID use an infrared system to determine your facial features and the depth of your nose, your eyes, etc, and what you are seeing is the infrared dot projector projecting infrared light onto someone's face (or well, trying to, it fires no matter if it sees a face or not), you can also see this effect if you point the remote at the camera, or even (since the iphone's front facing camera doesn't have an ir filter) point something like a remote into the front facing camera of an iphone and you'll see the infrared light (also tbh you can probably see the infrared light using the front facing iphone camera technique to see the dot projector with another iPhone as well) (god i hope this all makes sense, i'm sorry about my grammar btw, i know its really bad in here, i honestly have no defense for it, i just don't feel like going through and fixing it, but i will read this over myself and make sure you can at least understand it) if you want a more detailed explanation as to what this system is and stuff, if you go back to when they announced the iPhone X at the keynote of whatever year it was released, i believe they went into detail about FaceID in there, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and i or someone else would be more than happy to help further

Sep 29, 2020 7:10 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

oh no i'm aware, that's why i say use the camera they have or the front of an iPhone camera (because they don't have an ir filter), also i should make a clarification that by "see" in the context of shining a remote into the camera and stuff, i mean you open your iPhone's camera, flip it so its the front facing camera, and the phone shows it as either purple, or red (most of the time its purple) (ok yea this clarification is really needed because since i didn't really think about my words and format too well in my post, it kinda did seem like i meant with your eye)

Flashing infrared light from both iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.