Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios14 is a disaster

immediately after installing ios 14 on my ipad air 6th generation, the ipad immediately began turning itself on and off quickly then freezing the screen. I have to reset (reboot) it every time.

the ipad is also very hot for the first time and it won’t charge to 100% even sitting plugged for 24 hours.

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 10:59 PM

20 replies

Sep 22, 2020 2:20 AM in response to Cherry Blossom ,

If the update has destabilised your iPad, you might be best advised to restore the iPad to Factory Settings. At conclusion of the restoration process, you will have opportunity to restore your locally stored data from your iCloud/iTunes backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

As an alternative, you might seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You’ll find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page.

Sep 25, 2020 1:24 AM in response to cohenmd

cohenmd wrote:

Finally, I found it. You have to find the button to turn on smart annotations. Then you will get the mark up tools at the bottom of the screen, and you can select the first tool, write in the document, and the handwriting will be changed into typed text.

As far as I can see, nothing Apple has put out provides these instructions. They seem to have gone from intuitive to mind reading.

Nothing?

Draw and annotate in Pages on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch – Apple Support

Sep 23, 2020 8:29 PM in response to LotusPilot

-Clear all settings - Didn't help

-Recovery Mode refresh of the OS. Recovery went fine, but crashes every 2-3 minutes during setup and then during operation. (no apps or backup restored)

-Reset to factory - crashes every 2-3 minutes during setup and then during operation. (no apps or backup restored)

-Reset to factory and then a recovery mode load of the OS. Recovery went fine, but crashes every 2-3 minutes during setup and then during operation. (no apps or backup restored)

-Try to downgrade to 13.7 - Keeps crashing during the process and can't get the OS onto the device. Now it's apparently no longer being signed

-Tried completely draining the batteries and recharging

Tried leaving the device in recovery mode. Does not reboot until the actual recovery mode timeout.

I did contact Apple support and it's a flat $599 swap fee. The device was fine before the iOS upgrades and the theory they have is that it "highlighted an existing hardware issue". (not to be confused with "we didn't really do extensive testing with legacy hardware and you should have upgraded by now anyways")

Apple could make a fortune offering paid downgrade services. I'd be a lot more willing to pay for a 13.3.1 downgrade and version freeze than $600 for the same device that's just waiting for a future upgrade to "highlight" another hardware issue.

I guess it goes in a drawer and comes out for testing with each new iOS version until the official EOL.

This is probably the push I needed to get rid of the iPad altogether. The only business apps I was using on it were Microsoft, so it was getting harder to justify (and the games on the app store were draining my wallet). Maybe not a silver lining, but maybe a tin one.

Sep 24, 2020 10:23 PM in response to Cherry Blossom ,

Finally, I found it. You have to find the button to turn on smart annotations. Then you will get the mark up tools at the bottom of the screen, and you can select the first tool, write in the document, and the handwriting will be changed into typed text.

As far as I can see, nothing Apple has put out provides these instructions. They seem to have gone from intuitive to mind reading.

Oct 30, 2020 5:11 PM in response to Cherry Blossom ,

This is a nightmare of an update. Phone frozen post-update, followed by an entire day lost to troubleshooting due to a lack of internet connectivity, on and off wi-fi. The only fix for me was factory reset, which required particular steps, due to Find My IPhone being enabled, that 5/6 customer support reps didn’t mention. Who knows what other bugs await me. Ridiculous.

Nov 28, 2020 9:23 AM in response to MichelPM

Yes, but when did you install it, what minor release and what hardware? It seems to be older hardware disproportionately affected. I literally had a perfectly functioning device, installed the upgrade and the device was then unusable. The closest that they've come to admitting that the upgrade was the issue was "Upgrades and new functionality can push the hardware and may highlight existing deficiencies".

Instead of paying $600 for a swap/repair, I just turned in the device for a $200 credit. I always recommended iPads and iPhones for mission/business critical use because of the durability and dependability. But the past few years have really been challenging that. We're still paying the Apple Tax, but the huge gap between Apple and competitors is almost gone.

Nov 28, 2020 1:29 PM in response to jbenfield

I am running a 4-5 year old iPad Pro.

I installed iPadOS 14.2 on all of my family's devices a week after its initial release.

Prior to this, my old iPad Pro models were running iOS 10.3.3. and my wife's iPad 7th gen was running whatever it was initially shipped with which I think was iPadOS 13.1 or 2 and her over 4-year old version iPhone SE, purchased new over 2 years ago, was on its, originally shipped/installed iOS 12.2.1.

Dec 4, 2020 4:44 AM in response to Cherry Blossom ,

IOS 14.2 on my iPhone 8 is a real mess in iMovie. The decent attempt made to improving titles has made iMovie totally useless as it’s impossible to create a title of any kind now.

No matter which title I try it totally disappears before I finish typing the title.

How long will I not be able to work in iMovie before they come up with a fix to these bugs or could there be a cure for it already?

Has anyone else experienced this problem in 14.2?

This is why I always dread upgrades.

Jan 9, 2021 10:25 AM in response to jbenfield

SkolFloki has posted in the Using iPad community.

Congratulations, I guess? Not sure how this is helpful to folks experiencing issues with iOS 14.

Understandable. It did turn into a bit of a rant. But, it was intended as a warning to let people know about potential issues *before* trying to apply the patch. If I'd been aware of the potential problems, I might have been able to successfully capture a copy of the hashes for a downgrade. (though even that might not have been possible based on my experiences)

I was able to trade it in for credit, so instead of $599 to swap for another outdated Pro, it was $349 for regular current model ipad. I'm shifting all of my business use off, though. I can't afford that risk again.

Just take it as a cautionary tale.

ios14 is a disaster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.