Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud drive file size limit: 10 or 50GB?

I am trying to upload a 42GB zip file to iCloud drive, yet I receive the following message: "iCloud Drive on iCloud.com currently limits uploads to a maximum of 10 GB." Isn't the limit 50GB?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:21 PM

twobikeminimum wrote:

Thanks for the links. I've already checked those pages, however, which prompted my question. Apple states that files up to 50GB can be uploaded to iCloud Drive, yet the message window I see says the "current limit" is 10GB. I have 1.8TB of free space so that isn't the issue. I just wonder if Apple very recently changed the maximum size of files that can be uploaded to iCloud Drive (which doesn't make sense since they are usually on top of keeping help documentation up-to-date). Hmm...

It actually says "stored" in iCloud Drive, not uploaded.

What types of files can I store in iCloud Drive?

You can store any type of file in iCloud Drive, as long as it's 50GB or less in size and you don't exceed your iCloud storage limit. That means you can keep all of your work documents, school projects, presentations, and more up to date across all of your devices. Learn more about managing your iCloud storage.

I'll make an educated guess that syncing from a Mac/PC to iCloud Drive is not the same as uploading to icloud.com with a browser. Using a browser may introduce limitations out of Apple's control.

What browser were you using? Did you try another?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 9:21 PM in response to twobikeminimum

twobikeminimum wrote:

Thanks for the links. I've already checked those pages, however, which prompted my question. Apple states that files up to 50GB can be uploaded to iCloud Drive, yet the message window I see says the "current limit" is 10GB. I have 1.8TB of free space so that isn't the issue. I just wonder if Apple very recently changed the maximum size of files that can be uploaded to iCloud Drive (which doesn't make sense since they are usually on top of keeping help documentation up-to-date). Hmm...

It actually says "stored" in iCloud Drive, not uploaded.

What types of files can I store in iCloud Drive?

You can store any type of file in iCloud Drive, as long as it's 50GB or less in size and you don't exceed your iCloud storage limit. That means you can keep all of your work documents, school projects, presentations, and more up to date across all of your devices. Learn more about managing your iCloud storage.

I'll make an educated guess that syncing from a Mac/PC to iCloud Drive is not the same as uploading to icloud.com with a browser. Using a browser may introduce limitations out of Apple's control.

What browser were you using? Did you try another?

Sep 22, 2020 3:20 PM in response to zinacef

iCloud drive file size limit: 10 or 50GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.