Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected device isn't showing listed on Sound Input?

I am running Mojave on my iMac. I am trying to connect a tape recorder to my iMac using a 3.5mm aux audio cable. I have connected one end in the microphone slot on the tape recorder and the other end in the microphone slot in the back of the iMac. When I go into system preferences - Input - the device isn't listed anywhere. I cannot understand why? Any ideas? I was hoping to see it listed so that I can then use Quicktime player to transfer some recordings to my iMac. Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, 10.14

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 10:44 AM

Ah' OK. If you have a > https://support.apple.com/kb/sp665?locale=en_US then you are correct and it only has a Headphone jack.

When your are shopping for a USB audio adapter, you need to make sure that is has both input and output and then plug the recorder into mic or input port of the USB adapter.

12 replies

Sep 22, 2020 8:41 AM in response to HighlandSunset

Hmm.... what year model is the iMac?

If it is a 2015 or earlier, open the Sound Preference and select the Input tab. It should show internal mic with nothing plugged in and then switch to the external input when the audio cable is plugged in. If it does not then there is a good chance that the micro switch inside of the input port is bad and not switching the audio to external input. To over come this problem, you can use a USB audio adapter instead of having the iMac’s input port repaired.

If it is a 2017 or later with a single combination Headphone/Input port, then it will not work and you need to use a USB audio adapter.

for example > https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

Sep 22, 2020 9:34 AM in response to den.thed

I should probably tell you what I am trying to do. I have got some old cassette types that my father recorded about his life. I want to get them onto my computer. I bought a basic Bush cassette recorder and the 3.5mm audio cable male to male so that I could plug one end into the cassette player and the other end into my iMac. I have loaded a programme called audacity onto my computer after reading up about it. It is mentioned in lots of forums. I am very grateful for all your help thank you.

Connected device isn't showing listed on Sound Input?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.