Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant unlock my phone

I need help unlocking my phone

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 4:48 PM

There are various different things, all commonly called locking or unlocking.

There is carrier lock. Carrier lock questions arise with iPhone and rarely (if at all) with iPad:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

There is the SIM lock, a passcode associated with the SIM card in use, and you’ll need to discuss that with your carrier.

There is the screen rotation lock mechanism: Rotate the screen on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

There’s the screen auto-lock mechanism. That’s controlled from the Touch ID & passcode or the Face ID & Passcode settings.

There is also Activation Lock. That mechanism is an theft deterrent, and a theft deterrent that was easy to bypass would not be much of a deterrent. You’ll need the password of the associated Apple ID, or the original purchase receipt and matching photo ID and a discussion with Apple Support. If this device was recently purchased and the seller is still available, contact the seller for remediation or for refund. A remote unlock using iCloud is available to the person with the Apple ID holding an Activation Lock, if they’re inclined to unlock this device.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

There is also the passcode lock:

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

There is also the screen time lock:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

Here is the forgotten-password sequence for an Apple ID:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

If you are already in the account recovery sequence, it will take as long as it takes.

Here’s the Activation Lock sequence:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 4:48 PM in response to debramcloyd

There are various different things, all commonly called locking or unlocking.

There is carrier lock. Carrier lock questions arise with iPhone and rarely (if at all) with iPad:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

There is the SIM lock, a passcode associated with the SIM card in use, and you’ll need to discuss that with your carrier.

There is the screen rotation lock mechanism: Rotate the screen on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

There’s the screen auto-lock mechanism. That’s controlled from the Touch ID & passcode or the Face ID & Passcode settings.

There is also Activation Lock. That mechanism is an theft deterrent, and a theft deterrent that was easy to bypass would not be much of a deterrent. You’ll need the password of the associated Apple ID, or the original purchase receipt and matching photo ID and a discussion with Apple Support. If this device was recently purchased and the seller is still available, contact the seller for remediation or for refund. A remote unlock using iCloud is available to the person with the Apple ID holding an Activation Lock, if they’re inclined to unlock this device.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

There is also the passcode lock:

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

There is also the screen time lock:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

Here is the forgotten-password sequence for an Apple ID:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

If you are already in the account recovery sequence, it will take as long as it takes.

Here’s the Activation Lock sequence:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

i cant unlock my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.