Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 14: Where to change email passwords?

Just updated to IOS 14. Want to change my password on one of my email accounts (gmail). I use Apple’s email app. Went to Settings/Mail/Accounts - but there’s no place to change password (even under Advanced). I dare not uninstall the gmail account for fear that it won’t re-install properly. Does anyone know how and where to change the password?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 2:40 AM

If you are looking to change the Password for the Gmail email account itself, you’ll need to sign-in to Google using a web-browser and change the password there.

After changing the account password, the required authentication to access the account from your iPad Mail App must be updated. The corresponding account on your iPad may be configured in a number of different ways - and may use either an App-specific Password (if the account was created manually on your iPad) or OAuth 2.0 Token.

You can determine the configured GMail authentication method here:

Settings > Mail > [Gmail Account] > Account > SMTP > Gmail SMTP Server > Authentication

If the account is configured to use OAuth Token, you’ll not be able to edit this parameter; if configured to use Password, it can be changed. Be aware that for Gmail this is not your Google Account password - but is instead an App-specific password that must be generated by Google Mail for your device. This password is generated (using a web-browser) from the Google Account page. If using Password authentication, you will also need to update password for the Incoming Server on your iPad.

This Google Support page details the OAuth Token revocation and reauthorisation process that occurs after a change of account password:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/6328616?hl=en

I hope this explanation and guidance proves to be helpful.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 2:40 AM in response to jamlindell

If you are looking to change the Password for the Gmail email account itself, you’ll need to sign-in to Google using a web-browser and change the password there.

After changing the account password, the required authentication to access the account from your iPad Mail App must be updated. The corresponding account on your iPad may be configured in a number of different ways - and may use either an App-specific Password (if the account was created manually on your iPad) or OAuth 2.0 Token.

You can determine the configured GMail authentication method here:

Settings > Mail > [Gmail Account] > Account > SMTP > Gmail SMTP Server > Authentication

If the account is configured to use OAuth Token, you’ll not be able to edit this parameter; if configured to use Password, it can be changed. Be aware that for Gmail this is not your Google Account password - but is instead an App-specific password that must be generated by Google Mail for your device. This password is generated (using a web-browser) from the Google Account page. If using Password authentication, you will also need to update password for the Incoming Server on your iPad.

This Google Support page details the OAuth Token revocation and reauthorisation process that occurs after a change of account password:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/6328616?hl=en

I hope this explanation and guidance proves to be helpful.

Nov 1, 2020 11:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

No clue what Lotus is talking about- but I came here bc I changed my gmail password and was looking to update it on my phone (ios14). Came back bc lotus’ answer was the least helpful one I saw... so what worked for me was:

Setting—> Passwords—> Google (email address)

One of the more jack-assish changes apple has made, and that’s saying a lot

Oct 24, 2020 2:53 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi,

i have to say that I cannot follow your instructions. In the Account settings I see only SMTP settings for "Outgoing m ail server" and even in this menu I do not have any option how to configure Password. BTW: it is not only for Gmail, but also Yahoo, company exchange and even my personal email server. Tested also on 14.1 and 14.2. Option is missing ...

Thanks for advice!

IOS 14: Where to change email passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.