Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spatial audio support on iPad Pro 12,9 (2017)

iPhone 7 with A10 supports spatial audio but iPad Pro 12,9 (2017) with A10X does not support spatial audio? WHY!?!?!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:27 AM

9 replies

Oct 3, 2020 2:10 PM in response to SpectrumAmiga6128

Listen with spatial audio for AirPods Pro - Apple Support

Not sure what your moaning about, Apple are clear about which devices support it.

It is the way it is, I am sure there is a reason why it can't be used on older iPads.

Seeing as this is a user to user community, Apple are not here and do not see your comments maybe you should ask them directly

Contact support here - Contact Support

Oct 3, 2020 1:58 PM in response to SpectrumAmiga6128

No one knows?

Since an older lesser device supports Spatial Audio and a newer more powerful device does not then I guess Apple decided to force 2017 iPad Pro owners to buy newer iPads for no other reason than forced obsolescence all too early - a 12,9’’ iPad along Spatial Audio would make a fantastic personal movie theater and it looks to me that Apple wants to charge another arm and a leg from me into buying a new 12,9” iPad for no reason at all. No, I will not.

Oct 12, 2020 8:22 AM in response to SpectrumAmiga6128

I am in the same situation and have been trying to find an explanation for why iPhone 7 and iPad 6 do support spatial audio and iPad Pro 2nd gen does not. I too feel that paying extra for “pro” should give you access to modern features longer and that it would befit Apple to provide an explanation why this is not the case. A chat with support did not bring me closer to an explanation. They offered that the only option is to use the feedback form.

What I have found so far, is that apparently the second gen iPad pro is very similar to the iPad pro 1st gen and that just about the only thing that changed is the processor and hardware for promotion and trutone. This means that the iPad Pro 2017 is really a beefed up iPad pro 2015 (like ipad pro 2020 is similar to an ipad pro 2018 with lidar slapped on) and that iPhone 7 has more modern internals since it came out two months later.

Nothing can change the fact that your (and mine) 2017 ipad pro is a little closer to obsolescence than an iPhone 7 or ipad 6. No amount of bellyaching will change that. If anybody were to buy a 2020 ipad pro today, nothing is stopping Apple from introducing a new feature in 2023 that will not work on it for no apparent reason and no explanation given.

Oct 12, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Michiel Buisman

Thanks for posting your findings!

This not the first time Apple makes me angry.

Feedback form? This is like talking to a wall: I never got an answer for the Safari bug that has all my iPad tabs vanish whenever it wants on iOS13 & 14 while it was rock steady on iOS12 - at least now there are proper alternatives to Safari on iOS.

Spatial audio support on iPad Pro 12,9 (2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.