Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch languages in Catalina

On my previous iMac with Mohave I had an icon (British flag + the word British) on the right of the upper menu bar which I used to switch to French or Welsh and to launch the keyboard where I selected the accented letters required. This is missing on my new iMac with Catalina. I've added these two languages in the Preferences/keyboard/input sources and ticked the "Show input menu in menu bar", but I see nothing in the menu bar. Can anyone help please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:47 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 24, 2020 4:12 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

OK. When I turn on the accessibility keyboard I get an icon of a person with out spread arms in the top menu, but when I click on it the menu contains several grey inaccessible items, none of them languages. The only accessible item is accessibility preferences. This takes me to the accessibility window in which I can access the on-screen keyboard but, after selecting French there are no accents visible. On my old iMac when I use the flag in the top menu bar I can select the language and then the keyboard which contains the accents. So I'm stuck.

How to switch languages in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.