Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching easily between two languages in one document on MacBook Pro

I would like to switch between English and French within the same document. In system settings I have both languages as preferences, with English as my primary.

On my PC, I have a keyboard shortcut or I can click the language icon.

How do I do this on a MacBook? Is there a keyboard shortcut? A language icon?

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 2:38 PM

appleantilope wrote: I can't type the accents on the e.

No need to switch keyboards on a Mac, an English keyboard can type what you need for French

Enter characters with accent marks on Mac - Apple Support

11 replies

Dec 26, 2022 4:42 PM in response to dialabrain

This got me where I needed to change the language with 1 click.

For someone else coming along here's the steps (see screenshots below and red arrows):

System settings > keyboard > Text input > Input Sources > Edit

• Under All Input Sources, in bottom left corner click + plus sign to add a language
  • Select keyboard options for your language and click add
  • Toggle on "Show input menu in menu bar"

There are other toggle options there that might be helpful to others as well.

After clicking done you'll be back in the keyboard window > Press fn key to

• In the dropdown select change input source

With these changes I can:

• Press fn key to change the keyboard input, or
  • Click on the country icon in menu bar to change the keyboard input

Dec 26, 2022 11:08 AM in response to appleantilope

What do you mean by "switch between languages"? Spellcheck? Keyboard?

For spellcheck, you can try going to system preferences > keyboard > text > spelling and go the bottom of the dropdown to Setup and check only English and French and then put it on Automatic. How well it will work I don't know.

That's for Apple apps. For Word, you have to use its own settings.

Dec 26, 2022 1:29 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

How then do you type French words with accents, for example Joyeux Noel? (I can't type the accents on the e.)

On my PC I click the windows key + space bar and the keyboard language changes. I do this whenever I want to type in French, which is regularly. Then I switch back to English when I want.

How do I do this on my MacBook whether I'm in an app or online?

What I mean is, can I switch the keyboard language in a click or two?

Dec 26, 2022 6:03 PM in response to appleantilope

appleantilope wrote:

How then do you type French words with accents, for example Joyeux Noel? (I can't type the accents on the e.)

You don't need anything to type English and French. You don't need different keyboards. Just select the default English keyboard. When you want to type any characters that don't occur in English, type them this way:

option e - á

option ` - à

option i - â

option u - ä

option n - ã

and a few others that are single keystroke options like:

option a - å

option c - ç

Want to get fancy?

option q - œ

option ' - æ

Want uppercase? No problem. Hold down the shift key.

This new pop-up method is something made for iOS that Apple then ported to the Mac. It regularly gets disabled when people upgrade their operating system. Sometimes the cause is some random antivirus app. Sometimes the cause is some random corrupt preferences file. I don't know. And I don't understand why anyone would willingly use it. If you are going to type maybe 3 non-english words a year, maybe then. But even then, it would be quicker to use copy and paste.

For some reason, once Apple started porting iOS to the Mac, this pop-up method is the only thing people will use anymore. And they will work for weeks trying to get it to work. Makes sense I guess. If people are willing to spend seconds typing a single letter instead of multiple letters in a single second, why wouldn't they want to waste a lot of time trying to do it?

<sigh>

Switching easily between two languages in one document on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.