Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free Year Subscription to Apple TV -- but not via Roku

What a scam. Apple is currently advertising that with an iPhone purchase, you get a year's free subscription to Apple TV+ But Apple support rep Dhandapani tells me that I can only use the free subscription to receive Apple TV+ through my iPhone and that it will not work on the Apple TV+ channel on Roku. After hours in chat with four representatives, I asked to speak to a supervisor, I got iTunes Store Senior Advisor Yeswanth and was disconnected as soon as she came on and then auto-transferred to the fifth person to start all over again.

3920X,

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 9:21 AM

It is a bit of a grey area, because of “Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+,” and it could be seen as combining a first 7 day trial period with a second offer.

The automated offer will not be available to current or previous subscribers. But you can try contacting Apple Support about granting an exception based on the new purchase.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 9:21 AM in response to terry999

It is a bit of a grey area, because of “Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+,” and it could be seen as combining a first 7 day trial period with a second offer.

The automated offer will not be available to current or previous subscribers. But you can try contacting Apple Support about granting an exception based on the new purchase.

Sep 23, 2020 8:46 AM in response to terry999

The free year offer is for users that buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac. Users should redeem the offer on their new Apple device. Once you have the subscription, it should be available on any of your devices with the Apple TV app, when signed in with that same Apple ID account. Including compatible Roku devices.

If you can get the Apple TV app on your Roku, then any Apple TV app Channels (including Apple TV+) should be available to you.

Not all Rokus are compatible. The Apple TV app may not be available on Roku in all regions where Apple TV+ is available, or when users try to bypass country or region restrictions (VPN, foreign accounts, etc.).

All the ways to watch Apple TV+ - Apple Support

Devices you can use with the Apple TV app and Apple TV+ - Apple Support

Apple TV app-supported devices and AirPlay 2-enabled TVs - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2020 9:03 AM in response to Urquhart1244

That is very helpful, Urquhart1244. Maybe someone at Apple can retrain Dhandapani. Perhaps you know the answer to a second question... I'm currently in a year-long subscription to Apple TV+ (not a free subscription) and I have not asked for any free trial before (though I think Apple comp'ed me the first week of my annual subscription initially, though not at my request). Having just purchased an iPhone 11, can I get the free year of Apple TV+ service added on to my existing subscription or a partial refund of the unused term of my current subscription? I don't see any fine print that says current or past customers are ineligible at https://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/EN_US_ATV+_Promo_TandCs.pdf

Sep 23, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks. It has occurred to me that an evil marketing person might cook up the idea that no consumer can buy a subscription to Apple TV+ without being force-fed a few free days that inoculate Apple from that consumer ever getting any future offers. It would be so much more honest if they simply said outright, "This is an introductory offer and current or past Apple TV+ subscribers are ineligible." I'm dropping the issue because of the countless hours I've already wasted in support chat, each time the new person in the queue wanting to see my evidence of prior payment and Apple's receipt (and it's hard to attach documents in the Apple Support app. And I will never again use that Apple Support app -- it constantly reports connection problems and kicks you out of your conversation, then sends you to a new rep.

Free Year Subscription to Apple TV -- but not via Roku

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.