Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.4 GHz

I have a weather station that requires a 2.4 GHz connection. It doesn't seem to connect to the Airport Time Machine automatically. Should I go into the Airport Utility and create a 2.4 GHz channel that will be available to connect the weather station to?

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 12:29 PM

All Time Capsules, by default, broadcast on both the 2.4 & 5 GHz wireless radio bands simultaneously. Also, by default, both of these networks use the same network name. You can; however, rename the 5 GHz radio, and then "force" your weather station to connect to the 2.4 GHz one.

9 replies

Sep 23, 2020 12:40 PM in response to OlysC6

If the weather station won't connect to the AirPort Time Capsule, that is likely because the AirPort is providing a dual band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless network that uses the same name for both networks.

The solution might be to create a 5 GHz network on the AirPort that uses a different name than the 2.4 GHz network. Then, you can connect the weather station to the 2.4 GHz network name.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort and then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the window

Enter a check mark in the box next to 5 GHz Network Name

Click Save, then click Update

Now your 5 GHz network will have "5 GHz" added to the name of the network, so your 2.4 GHz network is simply the original name of your network. For example, if the name of your wireless network is "Wireless", that is now the name of the 2.4 GHz network. "Wireless 5 GHz" is now the name of the 5 GHz network.

Connect the weather station to the 2.4 GHz network.

If you have other devices that can connect to 5 GHz, you can point them at the 5 GHz network for a faster connection.

Sep 23, 2020 1:53 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax,

This did solve my question of how to differentiate between the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. Thanks for your help. I'm still not able to connect using the 2.4 network, so I'm thinking it's a different issue. I'll be updating my Airport firmware and if that doesn't work, I'll go to the weather station customer support site.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry.

Oly

Sep 23, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

This did solve my question of how to differentiate between the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm still not able to connect using the 2.4 network, so I'm thinking it's a different issue. I'll be updating my Airport firmware and if that doesn't work, I'll go to the weather station customer support site.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry.

Oly

Sep 23, 2020 2:56 PM in response to OlysC6

Some WiFi devices are very particular about connecting to a network.

Make sure that the name of your network is short.......no more than 12-16 characters.

Don't use things like an apostrophe, dollar sign, asterisk, etc in the name of the network

Eliminate blank spaces in the name of the network

If things still don't work, you may have to lower the WiFi security settings from WPA2 Personal to WPA/WPA2 Personal

Sep 23, 2020 7:01 PM in response to OlysC6

What is the make & model of your weather station? FWIW, I have a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2, but it connects to the Internet (to send wx updates to Davis > WeatherUnderground) via an Ethernet connection. On the other hand the connection between the station and the indoor console is via a dedicated wireless system. It's an older system with the newer ones only connect by wireless now.

Sep 24, 2020 10:57 AM in response to Tesserax

I have a La Crosse Technology Model C83100 ( https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/products/c83100). It has remote rain gauge, wind speed, temperature and humidity sensors linked to the main station over bluetooth, but connects to the internet via WiFi to get weather forecasts and wind direction. It is set up using an app, which also you can use to monitor the station.

This morning I tried connecting using an iPad rather than my iPhone and it worked!

I'm still pondering whether or not to do the firmware update to my Airport, remembering the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Any thoughts on the firmware update?

Oly

Sep 25, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Tesserax

My iPhone is still running 13.7 and my iPad is an older Air running 12.4.8 which the Settings says is up-to-date. The Airport is a 2TB Time Capsule (5th Gen) which is 802.11ac and compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n.

I'll search through the community to read more about my phone connectivity. Thanks again for your insight.

2.4 GHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.